Scratch protection for top of Bosco

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bettysnephew

#1: Post by bettysnephew »

I recently got this from Amazon to protect the top cup tray of the Bosco from scratches. It would work for other machines and there are other models in different widths if this is too wide for your machine. Working well, allows great ventilation and doesn't stink like some of the plastic and supposed silicon mats I have tried. I am very sensitive to the smell of plasticizers and this has stainless bars so no odor at all. I did have to trim a couple of bars off to make it fit front to back. About 1 minutes work with a scissors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0782BC24M/
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

I use this stuff on top of my Bosco: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AS9N58/ Snipped holes to match the cup tray holes. Same piece has been on top since 2015.
LMWDP 267

espressotime

#3: Post by espressotime »

It's a drip tray.It is supposed to have scratches as it is being used all the time to put cups on it.

Also people put these on their countertops to save the countertop from scratches?
i really take care of my stuff but again things that are supposed to being used will get scratches.
★ Helpful

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

espressotime wrote:.... but again things that are supposed to being used will get scratches.

That is, unless someone comes up with the bright idea of putting some sort of protecting layer between the cups and the top of the machine :wink:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/
★ Helpful

espressotime

#5: Post by espressotime »

TomC wrote: That is, unless someone comes up with the bright idea of putting some sort of protecting layer between the cups and the top of the machine :wink:
That is kinda.....true. :|

TheMadTamper

#6: Post by TheMadTamper »

Some machines/mfrs include the protection layer as part of the machine. Single best feature of Cimbali M21: That neat thermoplastic grid atop the cup tray. It's probably $2 worth of plastic, but darnit I wish I could get that stuff for EVERY machine! Custom fit, looks nice, matches the stainless, and meant for the machine.

I love that roll up rack. Probably can't get it to fit most machines though. The foam stuff I would have thought gets sticky. It gets sticky even without being heated.

I've also been looking into these:https://www.amazon.com/BBQ-Grill-Mesh-M ... den&sr=1-5

Seems like perfect material. Teflon coated mesh. Only problem is there's no gray option so you have to pick between black and beige/tan/brown. I'm assuming the latter looks better on SS.
LMWDP #642

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

TheMadTamper wrote:I love that roll up rack. Probably can't get it to fit most machines though. The foam stuff I would have thought gets sticky. It gets sticky even without being heated.
The padding I'm using hasn't gotten sticky in 4 years of living on top of the Bosco. Lifts right off & rinses clean. Not sure if it's the same brand I linked to but it's very similar.
LMWDP 267

truemagellen

#8: Post by truemagellen »

I use this silicone one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W0 ... UTF8&psc=1

It is ok but I wish it was clear but all the clear ones I've found are milky white semi transparent.

The only thing to worry about with shelf/sink liners and other things like this is the heat from the machine will cause PVC and some other plastics to off gas chemicals. Like phthalates. So Silicone is a pretty good material to handle the higher heat without issue. I think Nylon too but I haven't researched it.

The roll up rack probably looks great in there and shows off the machine better.

TheMadTamper

#9: Post by TheMadTamper replying to truemagellen »

If I can find a rollup rack that fits whatever machine, I'd definitely go with that. If not, hard call between tan/black teflon grill mats and the gray silicone (that hides too much of the metal, yet the gray looks a bit better than black mesh IMO. Hard call on the tan/brown.
LMWDP #642

bettysnephew (original poster)

#10: Post by bettysnephew (original poster) »

As mentioned in my first post I have a very sensitive nose and I went through several different "plastic/silicon" mats before finding this. All of them gave off objectionable odors (at least to me) and I could not tolerate them when the heat was on. I did see there were different widths of the roll up bars by other sellers on Amazon, so if this is of interest to you I would search around a bit. It appears it would be quite easy to disassemble the roll to shorten the bars if needed and a proper width was not available. I also like the idea that the bars are raised off the tray just a bit and offer no impediment to circulation from the boiler below, so no heat build up in the cabinet but still warms my cups nicely.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586