SAMA Club espresso machine - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
redbone (original poster)

#41: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Older gents that I get my sand blasting and powder coating done were busy this week as it was a short work week here due to Monday being a holiday. Passed by to see them as they are very close to where I work. Let them know that I'd be away next week and not able to pick up until the following week. Like chatting with them and listening their strong Scottish rhotic accent and the fact that the older brother is a jolly sort. Decided to keep similar colour as new with black frame and fire engine red body. Did see frame on table painted in grey primer.

Received 2lbs of anhydrous citric acid via Amazon. Cheaper than buying direct from local retail bulk store. The 2lbs size price was the sweet spot. Tired of buying a few ounces from the grocery store at inflated prices. Made a stronger than normal mix 3 tbl to 1 liter of warm water to deal with heavy layered mineral sediment. Will leave overnight and rotate boiler to make contact with other side tomorrow morning.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

walt_in_hawaii

#42: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

jwCrema wrote:I am really thrilled to see you put your magic on this machine.

I spent days using citric acid to descale my Club's boiler only to determine the process might take an indeterminate amount of time. I have a higher end Dremel and bought a collection of sanding implements to mow through the deposits.

Although I know you know, but for others I turned down the rpm's on the Dremel to match the particular thing I used. This makes removal proceed at the right pace with the bonus that I had no "oh no!" moments.

I really wanted to do a pure chemical removal, but was extremely happy with a combination approach.

It's quite striking to see the parallels of a SAMA Club with my beloved Olympia Express Club. The SAMA seems like a simplified OE Club, although my Club has no channeling issues at all. Is it possible there is a missing part in the group head?
I'm confused... the end caps of the boiler look to be welded on. How do you get the dremel bits inside a welded up cylinder?

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#43: Post by jwCrema »

Mahalo Walt.

When I looked at post #7, I thought I was looking into the boiler. The OE Club has a removal plate to the boiler which I see now the SAMA doesn't. As a result, adding mechanical removal via Dremel to the mix is not possible.

walt_in_hawaii

#44: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

Ah, thanks for that clarification, Jack. So yours looks something like a Lambro, then, one side is bolted up? Those are neat...

#45: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Frame and cover media blasted and powder coated similar to original.
Just waiting on parts from Ponte Vecchio in order to start assembly. International mail taking longer than expected.

Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

IamOiman
Team HB

#46: Post by IamOiman »

The Frame and body look pretty nice now. I expect updates on the completed machine once those parts arrive!
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

#47: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to IamOiman »

The anticipation on parts arrival is a killer.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Freddy Camacho

#48: Post by Freddy Camacho »

redbone wrote:Frame and cover media blasted and powder coated similar to original.
Just waiting on parts from Ponte Vecchio in order to start assembly. International mail taking longer than expected.

<image>
Is it the angle or the front plate of is black as well?

Did you do anything to the drip tray and cup warmer?

Im asking because i might getting it repainted. But im hesitant cause my local powder coat guy only has ferrari red. And no other shades of red.

#49: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to Freddy Camacho »

Front plate was cleaned on the front side and polished with some light cream abrasive and water. On back I cleaned with water and fine steel wool.
The cup warmer and drip tray were soaked and cleaned since they are not painted being stainless I believe. Nothing wrong with Ferrari red. Like to see when completed.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

IamOiman
Team HB

#50: Post by IamOiman »

redbone wrote:The anticipation on parts arrival is a killer.
<image>
Oof,

Poste Italiane can be hit or miss. When I order parts from my preferred vendor they use DHL, and their shipping was consistently 2-3 days to the States from Italy!

Have patience!
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612