SAMA Club espresso machine - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
OldNuc

#31: Post by OldNuc »

redbone wrote:Ordered some parts from Ponte Vecchio which are expected in a couple of weeks.

Finding a wire brush that fits deep in the boiler and passes through the small heating element port has become challenging. My citric acid, vinegar or even boric acid via Barkeepers Friend have done little to loosen debris. Had some luck scraping with a large flat head screwdriver where I could reach.
With care muriatic(hydrochloric) acid dissolves lime scale rapidly. This is best used outdoors full strength. Keep it away from zinc or zinc alloys

redbone (original poster)

#32: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to OldNuc »

Good info Thanks. Not sure if my local hardware store still carries Muriatic acid or if a pool supply facility is my best bet. Years ago I picked some up at a big box store for concrete cleaning. They kept it under wraps, when I inquired the sales guy said something about abuse and Methamphetamine. Worked well to remove moss and cleanup dingy concrete.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Freddy Camacho

#33: Post by Freddy Camacho »

What parts did you order from PV?

And hows the boiler cap situation?

#34: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to Freddy Camacho »

Cap looks good and fits tight but will hold out on final evaluation until I can test it on pressurized boiler. Here's a list of parts I ordered from P.V.:

VCD57 Group bolts Te UNI 5739 M6x16 St.steel
T9697 Level glass d.9/6x82 1
R1856 Fitting nuts for level glass
G8091 Level glass fitting seal
R4009 *Heating element 1000W 110V
G8097 Heating element gasket Teflon
M2001 Pressure gauge
P5040 Rubber feet
V620615 Screw TC M4x8 in inox 4
P4011 *Pressure switch XP110 1/4"

+ SP Shipping 1 € 32.00
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

OldNuc

#35: Post by OldNuc »

redbone wrote:Good info Thanks. Not sure if my local hardware store still carries Muriatic acid or if a pool supply facility is my best bet. Years ago I picked some up at a big box store for concrete cleaning. They kept it under wraps, when I inquired the sales guy said something about abuse and Methamphetamine. Worked well to remove moss and cleanup dingy concrete.
Watch out for Green Muriatic Acid as it likely will prove mostly ineffective as it is some mix of HCL and lord knows what. I would use a small paint brush to apply it so you have tight control on the results. Have flushing water hose handy.

Freddy Camacho

#36: Post by Freddy Camacho »

redbone wrote:Cap looks good and fits tight but will hold out on final evaluation until I can test it on pressurized boiler. Here's a list of parts I ordered from P.V.
VCD57 Group bolts Te UNI 5739 M6x16 St.steel
T9697 Level glass d.9/6x82 1
R1856 Fitting nuts for level glass
G8091 Level glass fitting seal
R4009 *Heating element 1000W 110V
G8097 Heating element gasket Teflon
M2001 Pressure gauge
P5040 Rubber feet
V620615 Screw TC M4x8 in inox 4
P4011 *Pressure switch XP110 1/4"

+ SP Shipping 1 € 32.00
Yah i pretty much ordered the same except rubber feet and the heating element. (I have a thread asking advice on the HE. But no answers. So i decided to stick with it)

Did you check the safety valve?

#37: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Took the safety valve apart and did a 1/2hr ultrasonic cleaning @ 60c temp in water and soap. Cleaned up well, dried and assembled ready for many more decades. These safety valves aren't overly complicated and incompass a spring and PTFE disc which open under set load. Decided to go with a new pressurestat. Older SOPAC P.S. has been replaced with a MA-TER XP110 by Ponte Vecchio and many other prosumer espresso machine manufactures. Could have gone with a similar looking Jaeger pstat but for the price and logistics decided to go with the one Ponte Vecchio uses.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

#38: Post by redbone (original poster) »

OldNuc wrote:Watch out for Green Muriatic Acid as it likely will prove mostly ineffective as it is some mix of HCL and lord knows what. I would use a small paint brush to apply it so you have tight control on the results. Have flushing water hose handy.
Plan to up the citric acid ratio and give it a longer dwell time from previous lighter concentration and soak time.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

OldNuc

#39: Post by OldNuc »

If you can heat it up and agitate it works better. It is going to take a lot of solution to get all of that crud out of there.

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#40: Post by pcofftenyo »

Good luck with your rebuild! Your boiler was awful, yeck! Please keep us posted.

I have a PV Lusso that is currently broken down. Its Mater Pstat went so I'm going to do a minor overhaul including that, seals and group gasket. Also considering the vacuum breaker mod as I come from a pump machine where it's not an issue.

I'm having trouble finding parts so if there is a recommended source I'd appreciate it.