SAMA Club espresso machine - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Freddy Camacho

Postby Freddy Camacho » Feb 15, 2019, 3:20 am

I Never got the answer from previous thread...but what is your idle temperature and pulling temperature on the grouphead?

redbone

Postby redbone » Feb 15, 2019, 8:28 am

Getting use out if standing vibration machine. Ultrasonic cleaning smaller parts.

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

IamOiman

Postby IamOiman » Feb 15, 2019, 8:36 am

Just curious but what can you clean with an ultrasonic cleaner? I have seen them aroumd, one being a friend's jewelry store, but am not sure exactly how far ranging they can be used for in cleaning various parts. I looked up your model and they seem to be fairly expensive as well!
-Ryan
I'll throw my portafilter in the ring
LMWDP #612

redbone

Postby redbone » Feb 15, 2019, 10:35 am

IamOiman wrote:Just curious but what can you clean with an ultrasonic cleaner? I have seen them around, one being a friend's jewelry store, but am not sure exactly how far ranging they can be used for in cleaning various parts. I looked up your model and they seem to be fairly expensive as well!

The ultrasonic cleaner dramatically loosens tough debris. My routine is to soak parts in a soap bath for 24 hrs min to hydrate and soften grime prior to placing it in ultrasonic cleaner. Even if the cleaner does not remove all debris on surface it does loosen it to the point that it easily scrapes off.
Unit was not expensive purchased via the Bayz. In many cases such as group screens it completely cleans these with nothing more than a rinse required.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

redbone

Postby redbone » Feb 15, 2019, 10:42 am

Freddy Camacho wrote:Awesome find. Love these samas.
Restored this in december 2018. Mine is still with the original pressure gauge.
The lowest setting on original pstat runs 0.75 - 1.3
And the safety valve is activated at 2
My back roller pin was a bit bent. So have to lathe it a wee bit.
And the front roller pin wasnt moving..it just slides when the lever is in action.
Other than that. It is in pretty good shape.

Replaced sightglass. Pstat. Safety valve. Seals (old elektra mcal). Lights.
All the above are PV lusso parts.

The only non compatible parts are the boiler cap. I bought the PV lusso cap. And realised it is non compatible.
In the meantime, i am using the old boiler cap with a cut out 2mm silicon gasket

I too experience a jet of spray to the back (the stainless body of the machine). And yes it creates craters. Tried using 1 and then 2 pieces of cutout filter mesh on the shower screen. Kinda help a little, not much. My pucks are generaly wet/ mushy.

Good luck and have fun!

Good info regarding the boiler cap as it saves me from ordering one. The one that came with this machine is in poor shape. Will have to find a fix of some sort. May have to have one machined. I believe these have a built in anti-vacuum or added safety valve.

N.B. If anyone is interested P.M. me for a P.V. Lusso parts diagram.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Freddy Camacho

Postby Freddy Camacho » Feb 15, 2019, 11:09 am

It doesnt come with anti vacuum...so if you are going to machine out the boiler cap. ...so May i suggest adding a vacuum valve on the boiler cap.

Im was going to put it on a T on the safety valve but didnt really work out.

From your pictures, looks like you are missing out rubber fittings on your wands.

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Feb 15, 2019, 11:13 am

IamOiman wrote:Just curious but what can you clean with an ultrasonic cleaner? I have seen them aroumd, one being a friend's jewelry store, but am not sure exactly how far ranging they can be used for in cleaning various parts. I looked up your model and they seem to be fairly expensive as well!

There are low cost ones available without all the neat readouts that function just fine. The general approach is to use the solvent appropriate for what you want to accomplish and then use the ultrasonic cleaner to heat and agitate the cleaning solution. The ultrasonic idea is to create a violently collapse micro bubbles that upon collapse impart a large jolt of energy to the cleaning solution. Metal may be polished to a very high state of polish by mixing polishing compound into a solvent and then agitating with the ultrasonic cleaner. These are very handy little machines.

untoldex

Postby untoldex » Feb 15, 2019, 2:40 pm

Antonee wrote:My experience so far is that I always get massive cratering of the puck. It appears that the water inlet hole is angled down and fires a stream of water directly through the screen into the puck. [...] Even if I only am extremely careful to open the inlet very slowly to restrict flow the same problem occurs, just to a smaller degree.
Anthony

Are you tamping hard enough? I've noticed this for light tamps, but for harder tamps cratering dissapears.
Also, I'm doing first part of preinfusion with very slow flow (lever at around clock 2:30), waiting until whole chamber fills with water (5 secs), and then pushing lever to the end, and waiting another 5 secs.
This is how flushing looks in my shower (Ponte Vecchio Export, produced 2017)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsIxBQ08g7I

Freddy Camacho wrote:I too experience a jet of spray to the back (the stainless body of the machine). And yes it creates craters. Tried using 1 and then 2 pieces of cutout filter mesh on the shower screen. Kinda help a little, not much. My pucks are generaly wet/ mushy.

I observed that wet puck relates to the headroom in filter. If I dose 13g into double, then puck is wet. But when I dose 15g, it's dry (but perhaps not super dry as I've seen on pump machines)

But note that I'm rather beginner in the lever world. I'm having Export for few weeks only and still learning.

Antonee

Postby Antonee » Feb 15, 2019, 5:32 pm

untoldex wrote:Are you tamping hard enough? I've noticed this for light tamps, but for harder tamps cratering dissapears.
Also, I'm doing first part of preinfusion with very slow flow (lever at around clock 2:30), waiting until whole chamber fills with water (5 secs), and then pushing lever to the end, and waiting another 5 secs.
This is how flushing looks in my shower (Ponte Vecchio Export, produced 2017)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsIxBQ08g7I

I observed that wet puck relates to the headroom in filter. If I dose 13g into double, then puck is wet. But when I dose 15g, it's dry (but perhaps not super dry as I've seen on pump machines)

But note that I'm rather beginner in the lever world. I'm having Export for few weeks only and still learning.

Yes I tried even with extremely hard tamp (way harder than I do with any of my other machines) with no success. Also as I mentioned before I can get a slightly better shot with less, but still severe, channeling if I am very careful to get a low flow pre-infusion. I will post a video later to illustrate my issue.

Spad_VII

Postby Spad_VII » Feb 16, 2019, 7:02 am

OldNuc wrote:Metal may be polished to a very high state of polish by mixing polishing compound into a solvent and then agitating with the ultrasonic cleaner. These are very handy little machines.

Wow!
I was using mine to clean the inner elements of old photographic lenses, but never suspected it would be useful for this task too.

Great advice, thanks!

For the lens cleaning my recipe is:
Triton X100, 5PPM
2-Propanol, 15%
RO water to 100%
LMWDP #620