Salvatore Compact Lever leaking at top of group - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JohnB. »

What temp does the strip show after the machine has been on for several hours? A screen rinsing flush after pulling a shot stopped the thermosyphon stall issues on the early Londiniums.
LMWDP 267

HBfencing (original poster)

#12: Post by HBfencing (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

Between 210 at an hour and 239F after several. Not sure what this corresponds to actual water temp hitting the puck.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. replying to HBfencing »

That might explain why your seals failed so early. My Bosco group idles at 166*F-168*F & this gives me a shot temp of 198*-199*F. If those measurements are accurate your group is way too hot. Where did you place the temp strip? Can you adjust the thermosyphon circuit?
LMWDP 267

#14: Post by HBfencing (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

Hmmn maybe I should get a new temperature strip

The temp strip as you can see is a high temp strip - I read it at the change in color (it's hard to discern on this one ) - I have one on my cremina lower temp strip - I forgot where I ordered these.

#15: Post by HBfencing (original poster) »

So I ordered a bunch of strips from OE - I think these go bad after a while had them for five years on the group.

Thanks for posting your group temp info.

pinky-and-me

#16: Post by pinky-and-me »

The original SCLs run hot, I had to install a valve to reduce the idle temp. Mine was getting so hot that the seals were slipping even after applying fresh lube. No more slipping after the valve.
Currently mine runs around 167f measured at the same position as your sticker but on the left side. Boiler at 1.15 bars.

#17: Post by HBfencing (original poster) replying to pinky-and-me »

Thanks for this

Any chance you can take a picture and link a part so that I can do this myself? Much appreciated.

Also I do have the occasional slipping issue

Mine was manufactured in 2015 not sure if it's an original - might be close to it

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by JohnB. »

The Bosco seals should eliminate any slipping issues but you definitely need to drop that group idle temp way down. If you have an accurate temp meter you should consider adding a thermocouple to the lower group area so you can monitor the temp more accuately.
LMWDP 267

#19: Post by HBfencing (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

Will be receiving new temp strips within the next few days so I can see what the group temp is.

So this is my 4th seal replacement in 5 years to the date with the Bosco seals being my 4th set so they have lasted on average about a year and 8 months for each set.

I've pulled about 6 shots and no slippage so far which is great.

If anyone has any pics of their Salvatore and where the valve was installed would be great - right now I have my pstat set to boiler pressure at 1.15 bar.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by JohnB. »

HBfencing wrote:If anyone has any pics of their Salvatore and where the valve was installed would be great - right now I have my pstat set to boiler pressure at 1.15 bar.
Some discussion in this thread: Modifying thermosiphon flow rate on vintage Faema Levers

and Open Source Lever Project
LMWDP 267