Salvatore Compact basics

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Satchmo780

#1: Post by Satchmo780 »

So I managed to pick up an SCL for a great price today. It's my first lever, and I'm excited.

Have a couple of questions though that I couldn't find answers too:

1. What's the red light signify?

2. What should the pressure gauge say at idle? I've read that thermosyphon dippers should be 1.2-1.5 bar, this one idles at 2. If I need to change that, how do I go about doing so?
LMWDP #737

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

An SCL in Canada? Congrats! That's a rarity. IIRC, there weren't any Canadian machines among the original nine in the Kickstarter ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sa ... escription ) What's your serial number?

I wouldn't adjust pressure until you've used the machine for a bit. I would also check with Salvatore as to what is the pressure for your machine. He could have set that particular machine up for 2 bar pressure.

As for adjusting boiler pressure, if you look at Hank's pics of his KS machine at https://hankua.wordpress.com/2015/03/01 ... o-machine/ then you'll see a black plastic box cover with a little yellow plug on it. That's the pressurestat, a.k.a., a Sirai (which used to be the manufacturer of this model of pressurestat). You remove the yellow plug and adjust the screw underneath to raise/lower the boiler pressure WITH THE MACHINE UNPLUGGED. Make small changes, like one turn at a time.

As an aside, the pressurestat ages but is rebuildable and depending on age/use, it might be due for a rebuild. What's the difference between the low and high pressures as the pressurestat cycles?
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

pcdawson

#3: Post by pcdawson »

I agree - very rare machine to find in Canada. Can we see some pics?

Satchmo780 (original poster)

#4: Post by Satchmo780 (original poster) »

Thanks!

I'm excited to delve into this new espresso journey. Looks like it's idling between 1.9 and 2.1 - which I think is probably a bit hot. Especially judging by the colouring on top of the low water sensor (see pic below).

I think this must be a custom job as the Serial # (number of top of the boiler) is L.G.S.32 and there's a big Leonard Goldstin March 2016 under the lid.

I'm going to reach out to Salvatore and see what I can dig up about running this thing the best I can.

Looks like a newer pressurestat that I can adjust from the top with the yellow dial?
LMWDP #737

#5: Post by Satchmo780 (original poster) »

Forgot the best pics. Sorry.

The machine is exhibiting one odd trait. On warm up, it seems to build a false pressure. The gauge will read 2.0 but then if I open the steam wand, the pressure will drop down to 1.0 and rise. I might have to do this a couple of times before it actually reaches proper operating pressure. Any thoughts?

LMWDP #737

hankua
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by hankua »

Good find!
The little red light is the boiler low water sensor. Since you have the internal tank version, it would be good to have some routine for filling it. Also might try giving the group a short flush after warmup to get the thermosyphon going. I flush the group, the steam wand, and the hot water wand. My machine is hooked up to a bottle water pump, may be some differences between the two versions?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

Satchmo780 wrote:I'm excited to delve into this new espresso journey. Looks like it's idling between 1.9 and 2.1 - which I think is probably a bit hot.
The deadband is decent so the pressurestat membrane should be good.
Satchmo780 wrote: Looks like a newer pressurestat that I can adjust from the top with the yellow dial?
The yellow bit is a cap. The adjustment screw is underneath the cap.

For the false pressure issue, confirm that the vacuum breaker is working.

Note that if the vacuum breaker is not working, then the gauge may be off. Does the gauge read zero with a cold machine?

#8: Post by Satchmo780 (original poster) »

How do I confirm if the vacuum breaker is working?

I'll have to check the reading when the machine cools down to see if it reads 0.
LMWDP #737

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing replying to Satchmo780 »

A quick search showed

How are vacuum breaker valves supposed to work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9P0t7__9ZM (Yours may not have a tube coming out of the top, I can't see the breaker in your pics.)

Note the difference between the vacuum breaker and the safety valve. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7R2My4Cevo

ETA: you can see what's under the plastic of the pressurestat in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhsBmqU98K4

UncaLenDog

#10: Post by UncaLenDog »

I see from the pics that this was my machine. Unfortunately my memory is poor enough that I don't dare lead you astray by trying to answer. However I can say that, as a long, long time customer of Salvatore I invariably found Wendy to be friendly and helpful. Contact them and you will have clear sailing. And great espresso I might add. Congratulations and good luck!