Roller bearing surface of new Elektra Microcasa a Leva showing wear - normal? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
C6H8O3 (original poster)

#11: Post by C6H8O3 (original poster) »

Test complete. I'm attaching picture below of the piece of paper.

The paper did not move and I see about 3/8" or so of mashed/rolled on paper. So it looks like the roller is moving and is moving about 3/8" or so per the imprint on the paper.

Everything sound in working order then?

Thanks

LMWDP 702

peacecup

#12: Post by peacecup »

It sounds like you've had good advice, and just be sure the roller is freely turning. It does not travel very far during a pull, so it's difficult to see. The brass roller is actually a "sacrificial" piece, it that it takes the wear instead of allowing the steel pin to wear the group head. But as you've noted the grouphead does indeed receive some wear, as does the roller bearing. The ones on my Samas/PV have taken some wear over the past ten years.

This design is pretty robust to long term use, so if you just keep monitoring it it should become an heirloom.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

OldNuc

#13: Post by OldNuc »

Paper says it is good. First maintenance disassembly those pins should be lubed with a good high pressure grease and any roughness in the mechanism cleaned up.

C6H8O3 (original poster)

#14: Post by C6H8O3 (original poster) »

Great! Thanks everybody for the help. I appreciate your time.
LMWDP 702

LDT

#15: Post by LDT »

I found this thread interesting because I purchased a new Mcal in chrome last month. I noticed I could not rotate the sleeve on the pin (shown in the photo) even after lubricating. Using the chopstick method mentioned previously, I removed the clips and had to tap the pin using a small rod and a hammer in order to remove. After removing I found the sleeve would not turn on the pin without using considerable force. So I had to reduce the diameter of the pin and increase the clearance inside the sleeve using 400 and 600 grit sandpaper; then I lubricated and re-assembled. It made a noticeable difference in smoothness and I can now see the sleeve rotate a bit when lowering the lever. The machine makes great espresso, but I'm surprised at the fit of this particular assembly. :shock: This may be a reason to disassemble and inspect the group sooner than I had planned.