Robot Cafelat 1-cup basket.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
TV33

#1: Post by TV33 »

Hello,
I have a question for those who do-it-yourself and have access to machines for machining, etc.
Do you think it's possible to take a copy of the Robot basket to cut the base and weld on, for example, the IMS 8-10g convex filter (my favorite basket on my Rocket), or even the 7-9g. Just to have a 1-cup basket on the Robot.
Thanks

zix

#2: Post by zix »

I can't see any technical problem with doing this, as long as you have the equipment.
If it works well or not, I don't know. I have always had problems with the single filters and don't feel any urge to do singles in my Robot.
LMWDP #047

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mborkow »

If you find someone willing to fabricate, I'd be in for one (or maybe two). The one thing I miss with the Robot is making singles.

Ken5

#4: Post by Ken5 »

TV33 wrote:Hello,
I have a question for those who do-it-yourself and have access to machines for machining, etc.
Do you think it's possible to take a copy of the Robot basket to cut the base and weld on, for example, the IMS 8-10g convex filter (my favorite basket on my Rocket), or even the 7-9g. Just to have a 1-cup basket on the Robot.
Thanks
I am assuming that the issue with using the current basket is that the taper is too high to use the small dose of coffee, gasket hits the taper? If so then MAYBE there is a way to easily try it without too much fuss, though it would have to use the existing pattern on the Robot's Pressurized basket. Would that even be worth giving a try I don't know. I am sure it is no IMS basket, nor am I sure if the hole pattern would be acceptable at all. So let the discussion begin.

The pressurized basket has a flat bottom as wide as the basket and a hole pattern that is also much wider. What would happen if one was to cut off the second wall of the pressurized basket? Would the hole pattern work?

Jonk

#5: Post by Jonk »

Cutting or drilling a pressurized basket is an interesting thing to try for someone who wants more flow (think of it as a more modern basket than what's stock on the Robot). It's probably not a good solution for singles, as you'd need to grind extremely fine.

A different suggestion, that avoids welding and expensive machining, is to sand/grind down the rim of the preferred single basket so that it fits inside the regular Robot basket. This way you won't have any issues with the portafilter (potentially too snug for added welds) and it'd be safe and strong. You'd need to seal the edge, perhaps with food safe silicone or perhaps something like silver solder (just make 100% sure that it's food safe, lead free - I hope such a thing exists.)

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

You made me wonder, so I pulled out My Robot's basket and portafilter along with a couple of baskets and I think the best approach would be to cut off the bottom of a Robot basket and then shrink the last 1/4" of the bottom so it just fits inside the single portafilter you want to use, then silver solder them together and grind off the rim on the attached basket. The only issue I see is making the jigs to hold the Robot basket so you can shrink the end. It would likely limit piston travel but not sure that's a problem for a single.

Or if you don't mind the basket getting longer, you could cut off the bottom of the robot basket and slide the new basket over the taper, solder it on and grind off the rim till it fits the portafilter.

Both of those methods have the advantage that the surface area to solder is large so it would be easy to get a strong solder joint.

And food safe silver solder is a thing, been around at least 45 years as I was using it that long ago.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I was wondering if putting in a beveled silicon donut in the bottom of the existing basket that would cover some of the outer holes of the basket could be an easy way to try this out.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272
★ Helpful

Jonk

#8: Post by Jonk »

One problem is that you'll have to find a tamper that fits deep enough in the basket. Obviously it'll also be different from OP's ideal single basket.

I'd just call it a day and get a different machine, although it's been said already.. For sure, the Robot is great, but for this purpose perhaps one of the tiny heroes like SAMA/Ponte Vecchio, La Peppina or Caravel is better still?

TV33 (original poster)

#9: Post by TV33 (original poster) »

thank you all. ha if only Paul Pratt and IMS could get in touch and make us a 1 cup basket based on the IMS convex 8.5-10g...

sonnylowe

#10: Post by sonnylowe »

Ken5 wrote:The pressurized basket has a flat bottom as wide as the basket and a hole pattern that is also much wider. What would happen if one was to cut off the second wall of the pressurized basket? Would the hole pattern work?
The quick and simple answer to your question is yes, it definitely works. I have used this basket for the past year or so, and I love it.

LMWDP #597
★ Helpful