Robot Cafelat 1-cup basket. - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
fforst

#11: Post by fforst »

sonnylowe wrote:The quick and simple answer to your question is yes, it definitely works. I have used this basket for the past year or so, and I love it.

Nice! Did you grind it down or did you use a saw? Which tool did you use?

sonnylowe

#12: Post by sonnylowe »

fforst wrote:Nice! Did you grind it down och did you use a saw? Which tool did you use?
Thank you. I used a metal lathe to remove the lower portion of the basket. I assume you could use a saw or grinder, but you would need to be careful to insure you left the lower lip on the basket in place. It's required to retain the screened portion of the basket which is only pressed in.
LMWDP #597

fforst

#13: Post by fforst replying to sonnylowe »

I grinded down the botton part beginning in the middle. The lower lip doesn't get that pretty as yours but it works. Unfortunatelly I got a scratch from the disc grinder but it doesn't seam to affect the espresso flow when brewing.

I guess you just could remove the middle part (the part that is flat) from the lower portion and then trying to fill the outer part with some foodsafe material to get a one cup basket.

Tombombadill

#14: Post by Tombombadill »

That is great! Ignoring there already was this discussion I opened the same topic on Reddit yesterday. As you modifided the basket can you tell us more about your expierience in making a low dose espresso? Is it able to build the right pression even if the bottom is larger than a one designed for small doses?

fforst

#15: Post by fforst replying to Tombombadill »

I haven't tried it but I would guess that it is difficult to get an even extriction with a coffeebed that is so thin with the modified basket.