Retrofit Resettable Thermostat to Older La Pavoni Professional?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sortafilter

#1: Post by sortafilter »

I've searched the forum and various sites but haven't been able to find an answer to this specific question.

I have a 1984 La Pavoni Professional that has an inline thermal fuse (non-resettable). The fuse blew recently and I would like to replace the fuse with the newer style resettable thermostat rather than what was already there.

The heating element base has a cavity in the centre but does not have a stud or tapped hole that I could use for mounting the thermostat. So here's the question:

For those of you that have retrofitted a newer thermostat to an older machine like this, how did you mount it?

My understanding is that the earliest resettable thermostats were glued in or pressure fit. None of the parts websites provide measurements for the thermostats available, so I'm not even sure if the new ones will fit the cavity. I'm not opposed to drilling and tapping a hole for mounting but I'm questioning how it would be sealed and don't have the tools to drill/tap a blind hole.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

sortafilter (original poster)

#2: Post by sortafilter (original poster) »

bump

Blernsball

#3: Post by Blernsball »

In case it's helpful, my thermostat has a diameter of 14.5mm on the black part, 16mm on the silver (base) part. The little fork bracket is removable.

I suspect they are all similar, but here is mine : https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/en/La ... -2244.aspx

In your case:
if it fits into the cavity, I would use some thermopaste to ensure a good contact between the base of the thermostat and the bottom of the cavity, and some high temp silicone to fix it into place. That should hold it securely but still allow for removal later.

if it doesn't fit into the cavity, I would still try a bead of high temp silicone to hold it. You might be also be able to fabricate a strap to hold it down using the bolts that fix the element to the boiler. Assuming you can avoid the terminals.

stefano65
Sponsor

#4: Post by stefano65 »

Apart from drilling a partial hole and thread it on the Heating Element fange (not suggested unless you are very familiar with drilling, tapping etc etc)
One option is to make a small metal plate, attached it to one of the HE flange bolt (fairly soft metal and has to be bent)
then you can install the new version
p-14-a with a small nut nut (and thermal paste for better heat transfer)
example like so
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.
★ Helpful