Restoration of a 1963 Faema Lambro [Finished] - Page 10

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cccpu

#91: Post by cccpu »

Lookin' good Ryan! Can't wait to see more!
LMWDP #583

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#92: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Assembling the upper group can be a little bit of a pain if you don't know what you're getting into and if you do not have an easy way to compress the new 165mm (sometimes 169mm) spring.

I tried the Faema spring tool but I was not comfortable using it as the piston rod would start to cross thread without the spring being compressed so I will try it another time. I did a final buff of the upper group housing before starting assembly. You can see the rubber mounts already installed.

The bearing guides are not original to the machine. I had two spares from a different group that I could use in their place. Originally I tried fixing the originals but there was a divot from where the bearings wore into the guides and a burr was forming. I tried removing it but it left the indents remaining, and just in case I used the spare set I had that was in better condition. The spare set has a similar wear spot but it only extends to the coating while the bare metal underneath is in good condition.

I made a new technique to install the new bearings. The bearing separator could work but I often ended up having to try multiple times as the bearing would try to go on at an angle to the lever fork. I also used some red scotch brite to slightly take off some material for the new bearings to fit more easily.

The new method involves my vise and a 17mm socket. I have more control in where I am applying force to the bearing when it rests against the lever for. This allows me to straighten the bearing out if it sags on one side, and in the end I got both bearings on without too much hassle. Learning my lesson with the President I had a piece of 3/4" plywood stuffed in the fork so it would not bend from the force.

The new piston looks pretty good. The original had to be replaced with its odd material. I also replaced the piston rod as there was wear/an elongation in the pin hole.

Compressing the spring can be a pain but I got it on in the end. For the piston to begin screwing onto the piston rod you need to get the spring to be about 5 1/2" in length. I use lots of zip ties but a proper tool is an F-clamp or cloth ratcheting tools. I do not have many pictures of the assembly and screwing on of the piston as I was pretty focused and needed to make sure nothing awry happened. I was wearing a long-sleeved sweater, apron, goggles, gloves, and a mask just in case the spring did something funny. For lubrication of the fork and piston rod where water is not in contact I used Kynetx Food Grade Grease (I spelled it Kemtex a few times prior but this is the correct spelling)

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

drgary
Team HB

#93: Post by drgary »

Ryan,

Thank you for documenting this so well, including your refinements of technique (I'm thinking especially of the long-sleeved sweater while trying to compress the spring).
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Clear_dome

#94: Post by Clear_dome »

You made a fantastic job on the piston !!! Hey yesterday i finaly plugged the beast , all the electric side worked fine just as the mercurystat . But of course around .3bars it started to rain. I got some minor leak on the boiler gasket ( which is new :/ ) ans a leak on the p-stat pipe which is an easy fix , but i had one from the screws at the top of the group head ( under the spring head ) and those puzzle me ??? Also im not so sure about the whole valve under (at the back) of the group head and the bolt on top , especially the bolt on top , i think i might have a parts missing in there , the bolt at the top of the group head have thread on the outside ( to screw on the grouphead ) and in the inside and there is nothing in the hole ?? Of you guys happen to re assemble the grouphead and could share pix ill would really apreciate , thanks

Team HB

#95: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

If you are getting a leak from above the lower group where the aluminum upper group is located then it is likely your piston gaskets have failed or are not oriented correctly. The piston on the left shows the correct orientation the piston seals should be in (pic from my Faema President restoration), the V-shaped gasket flared downwards and the X-shaped gasket on the bottom slot of the piston. Check to make sure there are no nicks or damage on the gasket as well.

I will show how the group goes together when I get it back from my metal guy who is chroming it (he is on vacation right now and has been dealing with some tough stuff, so it has been delayed for a bit now). Hopefully in a week or two.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Clear_dome

#96: Post by Clear_dome »

The orientation is good and the seals where looking new so i havent change them but i was wondering if its normal that the top one wiggle ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JzyNNcP_jo

Bluecold

#97: Post by Bluecold »

They shouldn't wiggle like that, which would explain your leak.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Clear_dome

#98: Post by Clear_dome »

Yup , i went to espresso mali in montreal and they had the wright ones , very very similar but much tighter . That would explain why the whole spring area was filled with sh*t . Thanks :D

alexvoz

#99: Post by alexvoz »

IamOiman wrote:. Speaking of the decorative bits the two replica pieces came in today from Switzerland! I am pretty happy with them. I cannot tell what the logo is made of, I believe a plastic or acrylic yet it feels pretty weighty like metal. It looks great as does the plexi.
image.
Hi
I have been reading this wonderful topic for some time, you are really doing a great job on the machine. May I just ask you where / by whom you got the Lambro logo replica? I have the same machine (in a quite good condition) and the only missing element is the logo on the back. And for now I have not been able to find any company / person doing it. Thanks Alexis

Team HB

#100: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

IamOiman wrote: I sourced my plexi and logo from Dominique in Switzerland (he frequents Kaffee-Netz as Yoombe if you wanted to contact him). He does not make the replica Faema emblem though and did the other two as fun projects.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612