Restoration of a La Pavoni P67 - Page 7

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#61: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

it would need to be custom cut as the normal ones for 58mm groups are too large in diameter. I also ordered a few o rings for cheap to play around with slightly different sizes for this and also my Campeona piston. I will try one more shot to see what happens as I noticed the shot was not leaking when I had the pf fully turned but I janked it when I first saw the leaking.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

civ

#62: Post by civ »

Hello:
Jake_G wrote: Happy birthday ...
+1 8^D!

Q:
What is the trip point on the Campini Ty62R safety switch you are using here? 135° C?

Thanks in advance,

CIV

Team HB

#63: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Thanks!
civ wrote:
Q:
What is the trip point on the Campini Ty62R safety switch you are using here? 135° C?

Thanks in advance,

CIV
130C is what I see on the product label and product description from the website I purchased it from (chisko.it)

oh and that 2nd shot was not much better but I had a glass dish to catch the water :D
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#64: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

A quick update on the Pavoni, I received my portafilter that came with the machine and it has a worse fit than my bottomless portafilter :shock:

I am really curious now if it's really an o-ring that needs to go in for a gasket but the regular E61 group gaskets are way too thick. Perhaps one of the CMA group pf gaskets would work? The piston uses CMA sized seals so that would not be too far-fetched. Kind of sucks I can't pull any shots considering it pressurizes nicely!

Something like this
https://sproparts.com/en/product/3875-c ... ktra?pt=16

I am working on the two decals that attach to the rear panel. My metal guy suggested a decal place that will be able to recreate the lettering for each block that I just adhere to the pieces like a sticker based off photos of the original font and color.

The last two things are cleaning up the drain tray and making the hot water pipe.

Edit: check this out! I found a spare Cafelat CMA gasket and it's a perfect fit! The portafilter locks in nicely now and perhaps a shot can be pulled!
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#65: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I finally got around to pulling a real shot on the P67. I will probably need a spacer or two for the gasket but it was a real shot! I was surprised how much volume came out, it must have been over 50ml for a double basket! Very exciting. That just leaves the hot water pipe, the drain tray, and two decals on the back panel to wrap up. You'll notice I have a piece of wood in the front. That is because this machine tilts forward if I do not support the frame with my other hand during the lever pull. Really sucks but it's due to the front feet not positioned in the far front.

I also got the panels on. I will need to partially take them off when the decals are done but it's nice to see the machine mostly in one piece. They attach via twelve #6 screws, six on top and six on the bottom part of the frame.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#66: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Here is a question I have: when the boiler is pressurized I see the water level goes up to a higher level on the glass sight in contrast to the actual water level in the boiler. Compare the last pic of my prior post and look at the level of the water when the machine is at operational pressure. Now look at this prior posted photo where the machine is cold and unpressurized. The water level will rise by about 1 inch. When the machine is warming up and first reaches its operational pressure the water level does not change initially, but in a few minutes the change does occur. I thought there was a leak somewhere in the water sight assembly but so far I have not found anything. Any thoughts on this? The HB search function is not bringing much for results or I am not using the right terms.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

harrisonpatm

#67: Post by harrisonpatm »

I see this on my Europiccola as well. Don't hold me to it, but I think it has to do with heating/cooling cycles creating currents through the sight glass. I see it jump around even more when I open the steam wand.

Jonk

#68: Post by Jonk »

I've also seen the same behaviour on EPs as well as a Gaggia Achille. I thought it was due to careful descaling on my part partially blocking the sight glass holes, because even when filling water the level rises intermittently.. But perhaps pressure is the main reason?

Team HB

#69: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I think that I figured it out. My wobbler weight does not seal fully sometimes and that causes a little steam to escape and also fluctuate the water level in the sight glass! I had to listen closely to realize this, and prodding the wobbler weight to let loose the steam makes the water level fluctuate violently.

The shot in the end still tastes good so that's all that matters!
-Ryan
LMWDP #612
★ Helpful