Repair Assistance with La Riviera Espresso Machine?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
DA3

#1: Post by DA3 »

Good afternoon--

Would anyone be kind enough to help me determine the type of espresso machine I have found (pictures attached)?

I believe, as per the pictures, it's a "La Riviera" and it appears to be a "Gaudeausio/a" or the like.

It heats water to boiling but does not achieve pressure. The glass tubing appears to be broken but there could be other issues.

I am Washington, DC and interested, if feasible, in bringing this machine into fighting form if possible.

Thank you in advance. Please forgive me if any of my questions are silly; I am new the world of lever machines.

Best regards,

Don

bill
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by bill »

Hi Don, and welcome to HB. Yes, it appears to be a Riviera but I've never seen one exactly like this. Hopefully someone else here will be able to give you more details. I had a Riviera several years ago and it was a very good machine and well made. You said the glass tube was broken but it heated water to boiling. Do you mean the water level sight glass on the side of the boiler?
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!

grog

#3: Post by grog »

Looks like a Riviera Baby aka Baby Lusso and someone put an 'aftermarket' boiler cap cover on it. Rebuild info may be found by using the search function on this forum as well as the repairs forum. You will find many have rebuilt these. This also may be helpful:

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Macch ... 16_eng.htm
LMWDP #514

DA3 (original poster)

#4: Post by DA3 (original poster) »

Dear Bill and Grog--

With apologies for my delayed response, thank you, very much, for your replies. They are much appreciated and certainly help greatly -- particularly the knowledge the that cap is 'aftermarket'.

Best regards,

Don

DA3 (original poster)

#5: Post by DA3 (original poster) »

With apologies for sending another response in quick succession, in response to your question, Bill, heated water does not rise to the level of the site tube (perhaps I have not filled it enough -- I really have done very little). I surmise that the machine does not appear to create pressure given the broken glass site tube though, as I write this, I wonder how much pressure this tube would be under (and if, indeed, it is just a 'fullness' indicator). Sounds like I just need to get to work using the rebuild resources that Grog referenced.

Thank you,

Don