Reasons we use a Lever machine beyond superb shots - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
OldNuc

#21: Post by OldNuc »

Yes, the rate of flow indicator is built in. Very handy for troubleshooting.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by samuellaw178 »

Will only speak for myself....I don't know about the shot quality or if it's the best flow profile, and won't try to delude myself thinking I know what I am talking about. :oops: But I just love using my spring lever machine - it's in the small details throughout the entire process : the right level of engagement (convenient to use and yet you still feel engaged with the shot-pulling process; have some control over it, but not overwhelming so), minimal fuss & maintenance (no backflush and no detergent ever gets into the group...other than to wipe the exterior when I feel like it to make it bling), and the peace of mind knowing full well that it will last pretty much for decades to come and easily repaired/maintained (by myself) if needed. Not to mention the pleasant aesthetics whenever you look at the gorgeous grouphead/machine (this is totally subjective of course).

Something about using a well-designed vintage spring lever just clicks with me emotionally.

IamOiman
Team HB

#23: Post by IamOiman »

samuellaw178 wrote:Something about using a well-designed vintage spring lever just clicks with me emotionally.
Hence why I ended up with a Faema President :lol:
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

jpender

#24: Post by jpender »

For me it's about simplicity and also size. I don't want to spend endless hours learning how to use a machine and yet more time cleaning and maintaining it.

And I can't have a machine on the counter -- it has to go easily into a cupboard:

IamOiman
Team HB

#25: Post by IamOiman »

I am a little concerned for your machine if that baby is looking at it like that when the door is closed :shock:
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Almico

#26: Post by Almico replying to IamOiman »

That would scare the shot out of me.

IamOiman
Team HB

#27: Post by IamOiman »

I think a new type of espresso extraction can be developed from that: scared shotless!
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

truemagellen (original poster)

#28: Post by truemagellen (original poster) replying to IamOiman »

:shock:
:mrgreen:

bettysnephew

#29: Post by bettysnephew »

I think the main reason us lever aficionados chose our machines is that we look like the coolest kids on the block when pulling our shots!!! :D :mrgreen: :D LOL!!!
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

pinkselixir

#30: Post by pinkselixir »

This is a super cool thread topic. Love it. And love all the brilliant responses connecting a real physical movement to the shot. Brilliant. I think it's the feel of producing a shot and quiet real time. Living in the moment. Good for us all in this day and age. :D