Rancilio Z9 Two Group Lever Machine - Page 11

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Clint Orchuk

Postby Clint Orchuk » Sep 02, 2012, 12:14 pm

Yup, A sits in the flames on top of the burner. There won't be an elbow on the bottom of the sight glass unless it already had a gas system. There will be a plug there instead. I can't remember if my gas kit came with the elbow or I ordered it separately. I found some photos I had taken when I installed it. Y and X didn't apply to me because it is part of the autofill piping.

phillip canuck

Postby phillip canuck » Sep 21, 2012, 3:17 pm

Thanks for the photos, Clint. Unfortunately, my gas adventure has come to a standstill because I have not been able to figure out that sightglass connection - or if there even is one.

EDIT: I do have a spare connection on the top of the boiler - it's currently just a cap nut - maybe "J" connects to that? That would make sense as a way to regulate the pressure. I think.

Next issue. I have a 15A and 20A plug sitting in front of me - I have to decide which one to attach to the Z9 power cord. I like the earlier idea from Doug of Orphan Espresso when he suggests a DPDT switch - a high setting to get up to heat, and a low setting to keep me there.

The dedicated circuit is 20A. The element is 2700W, 120V, so that is 22.5 amps. I know there is a tolerance on the circuit, but is 22.5A pushing it on the 20A breaker? Am I just going to trip it all the time?? Otherwise, I'll leave one of the three legs off, so 1800W, 120V and 15A.

Advice?

Thanks,
phillip

donn

Postby donn » Sep 21, 2012, 5:07 pm

Yes, I believe J goes to the top of the boiler. On my La Pavoni Bar, there's a brass elbow, and that's J coming out to right.

FYI, I've never actually fired this up.

phillip canuck

Postby phillip canuck » Sep 22, 2012, 12:22 am

Waaaaiiiiittttt a minute - you have a gas system on that which you haven't tried?

donn

Postby donn » Sep 22, 2012, 1:03 am

We have electricity.

phillip canuck

Postby phillip canuck » Sep 22, 2012, 1:40 am

Great answer. And, my apologies - I didn't even thank you, thanks! I'm keen to try out the "new" connection and see what happens. Very exciting.

-phillip

thurstrw

Postby thurstrw » Oct 28, 2012, 11:55 am

Hello All,

I am pretty far along in rebuilding a Rancilio Z9 2-lever 110v machine, electric and gas. There were an awful lot of boiler scale, rust, broken parts, etc. I took everything off the frame, had it blasted and repainted, ordered many new parts, and have gotten it pretty much back together. The photo of the machine's right end shows where I am now. The wiring diagrams I have are helpful, but I have several questions that I hope someone can answer. First, when I got the machine, there was a small copper tube attached to the right side terminal on the back of the pressure gauge. Nothing was attached to the left-hand terminal (or the right-hand one if you are looking at the back of the machine). What, if anything, is supposed to be on the other terminal? No diagram shows that terminal. Second, I replaced the mercury switches and pressure stat because the stat seemed to be ruined. The new part in place of the old stat is a Sirai pressure switch, the black and silver part at the right side of the picture. I also got a new Parker 110v solenoid, visible at the lower left. These parts went into place with no trouble, but again I have a question. The old solenoid screwed into place, and the new one does, too, but the new one has a threaded female part with nothing to attach there. Should I just put a bolt into that opening (visible at the right side of the solenoid)? Where does the wire from the sight glass indicator go? Finally, there is the old RALS box "per autolivella caldaia," for automatic levelling of the boiler. That has pins that fit into holes in a piece located at the back left side of the frame, or, in the photo, straight back along the frame from the Sirai switch. Why are there both the pressure switch and the auto levelling switch (I realize that both were originally on the machine)? If anyone has done anything close to this lately, I would love some advice on how to do the wiring from this point forward. Thanks!

If Phillip has not yet gotten his gas tubes etc. straightened out, I think I can help with that.

Robert

phillip canuck

Postby phillip canuck » Oct 28, 2012, 1:50 pm

Fantastic! Great to have another Z9 owner on here. A few of your questions I can answer off the top of my head, and a few I'll need some more time to answer..

thurstrw wrote:
First, when I got the machine, there was a small copper tube attached to the right side terminal on the back of the pressure gauge. Nothing was attached to the left-hand terminal (or the right-hand one if you are looking at the back of the machine). What, if anything, is supposed to be on the other terminal? No diagram shows that terminal.

Mine is the same way - nothing on the right-hand side as looking at it from behind. One of my sets of diagrams confirms that nothing goes in there. I've just assumed that it is the same gauge used for another model that does utilize that port.

Where does the wire from the sight glass indicator go?

A photo would be good, but if that is the level probe, then mine connects to my GICAR auto-fill, so I assume that yours goes to your RALS box. Depending on how much you plan on using your Z9, it had been suggested to me several times that I do away with the auto-fill and just manually fill as needed (turns out that my GICAR is fine, and I did figure out the wiring, so I kept it).

Finally, there is the old RALS box "per autolivella caldaia," for automatic levelling of the boiler. That has pins that fit into holes in a piece located at the back left side of the frame, or, in the photo, straight back along the frame from the Sirai switch. Why are there both the pressure switch and the auto levelling switch (I realize that both were originally on the machine)?

The pressure switch turns on the heating element, and the auto-fill brings in water (if I understand your question correctly).

If Phillip has not yet gotten his gas tubes etc. straightened out, I think I can help with that.

That would be great - I'm messing around with my Elektra T1 and SAMA Lusso, so I put the Z9 on the back burner - again, and again.

Welcome to HB, Robert!

-phillip

phillip canuck

Postby phillip canuck » Nov 17, 2012, 3:40 am

Is there an award for longest rebuild? I don't know if I win, but surely I'm nominated. I'm yet to be done, but at least I pulled a shot and sipped it. That seems like the finish line to me. I'll have more to say later, but for now...

And.. FIRST drinkable shot (not a good shot, at all, though)

phillip canuck

Postby phillip canuck » Dec 31, 2012, 12:43 am

I suppose this is the end. Well, it is for now. When the weather gets warmer I will want to move this girl outside, and then I'll install the gas. That will be the next chapter, and another thread. My Elektra T1 is awaiting a buyer, and this has been my daily machine for the past couple of weeks - and I'm very happy. Thanks to many that helped.

-phillip