Question for Bosco or similar group owners

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Jasper_8137
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Jasper_8137 »

I received a new in-box Bosco single group recently. The machine was ordered by an espresso dealer in Canada and sat in the original crate for ~ 1 year until I purchased it. Initially, when pulled a shot, the lever pulled with resistance, but not too much. Over the past few weeks, with my first pull, there is quite a bit of resistance to the point that the machine just starts to tip forward. Subsequent pulls seem to have less resistance but still more than when I initially set it up.
So my questions are:
1) do others with a single group Bosco have any issues with tilt when pulling shots?
2) do you think that with machine sitting for a year crated that the initial lube has dried out and it just needs an application of dow 111?

Thanks for the input!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

Mine doesn't tilt at all. I'd definitely pull the piston assy out to clean & relube the seals.
LMWDP 267

Jasper_8137 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

That's what I thought. I was going to pull the piston assy based on the video in this thread...

Where to find teflon piston gasket? Is mine broken?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

IamOiman
Team HB

#4: Post by IamOiman »

if it's dry you may have issues pulling it out. Use a twising motion so you are just against kinetic friction rather than static friction (which is greater than the former) and thus don't need to need as much force to pull it out. Twist it in a clockwise direction just on the remote chance of accidentally unscrewing the piston if you went counterclockwise. Some people will cock the lever and apply lube inside the sleeve from the bottom of the group (after removing the showerscreen) to help lubricate it for removal.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by pizzaman383 »

I have found that taking off the shower screen, pulling the lever down to raise the piston, put some lube on the cylinder walls, and carefully raise and lower the lever a few times to spread the lube a bit will make it much easier to remove the piston assembly.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Jasper_8137 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

Thanks for everyone's replies! I was able to pull the piston relatively easily - I did need to rotate it a bit. I wiped the gaskets, lubed them with Dow 111 and reassembled - lever is now working smoothly!

One question, my piston does not have the Teflon gasket shown in Paul's video

Is this something I should purchase or is this typical for a Bosco?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

IamOiman
Team HB

#7: Post by IamOiman »

Bosco does not use the teflon insert
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

espressotime

#8: Post by espressotime »

With four seals it wouldn't make any sense to use one.Just another part adding friction.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

espressotime wrote:With four seals that wouldn't make any sense.
I guess that's what they decided as they did use the teflon insert on the 4 seal piston up to around 2015-2016 & then stopped adding it. I've left it on mine & even have a few spares.
LMWDP 267

truemagellen

#10: Post by truemagellen »

My understanding is the teflon ring is to protect the walls of the piston cylinder should the seals fail so badly the piston moves to one side and could score the cylinder.

Since Bosco uses more seals the chance of 4 failing is nearly impossible and so the Teflon ring is redundant.