Puck lifting in Cafelat Robot? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mborkow
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by mborkow »

mixespresso wrote:That would be amazing to see!
You don't have to go very far to see it...
Transparent Cafelet Robot Portafilter

mixespresso (original poster)

#12: Post by mixespresso (original poster) replying to mborkow »

Wow, that is very elegant.

It is interesting to see how the puck lifts when lifting the robot arms at the end to purge the water from the robot. Of course, you should not do that during a shot anyway, but it is interesting to see it visually

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by mborkow replying to mixespresso »

I think the only puck lift with the robot is when the arms are themselves lifted. If Sprometheus was getting puck lift, I suspect it was poor technique and lack of consistent downward pressure on the arms once he began the shot...but he would rather blame the product and some imaginary law of physics he concocted to explain it. I wish we'd stop making silly people famous.

#14: Post by mixespresso (original poster) replying to mborkow »

yes, in my previous comment about the PF video, I was not making any connection to Sprometheus's puck-lifting claim.

I just thought it was interesting to see the puck lifting on the video when lifting the arms at the end. It looked like a good example of how you could disturb the puck if you were using bad technique by moving the arms up and down during the shot

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by mborkow »

mixespresso wrote:yes, in my previous comment about the video, I was not making any connection to Sprometheus's puck-lifting claim.

I just thought it was interesting to see the puck lifting on the video when lifting the arms at the end. It looked like a good example of how you could disturb the puck if you were using bad technique by moving the arms up and down during the shot
I know you weren't. I recognized that you were just comparing what you were observing to what he had observed (rather than saying what you were experiencing was attributed to his puck lift theory) and I didn't mean to be critical of you or your technique; it's not like my technique is something special or that every shot I make on the Robot is what I was hoping for...those are for my wife's Americano ;-) <rant>But it bothers me when someone like Sprometheus (what exactly are his qualifications?) declares there's a problem with a product he's reviewing based on absolutely nothing.</rant>

#16: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

mborkow wrote:<rant>But it bothers me when someone like Sprometheus (what exactly are his qualifications?) declares there's a problem with a product he's reviewing based on absolutely nothing.</rant>
That is a very fair point. It, unfortunately, happens on YouTube and social media in any single domain you can name: coffee, politics, health, economy matters...

Paul_Pratt

#17: Post by Paul_Pratt »

OK so the transparent pf still works, ironically the bit that looks like it will fail first is the metal screen at the bottom. I can't remember where I stole it from so do not have another. Next week I plan then on taking a few more videos for as long as it is still working. Some ideas..
  • Traditional PI 1-2 bar and a gentle ramp up to full extraction pressure
  • Traditional PI 1-2 bar and a more harsher slam to full extraction pressure
  • Traditional PI 1-2 and then accidentally easing up of the pressure during PI
FWIW for the reviewers I have absolutely no contact with any of them, no messages or emails. Oh tell a lie I was approached by Kyle Rowsell before he reviewed but it is strange that they don't ask questions on anything. But yeah, the puck lifting thing is quite obviously a let up in pressure during PI.

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by mborkow »

Sounds like a good set of test cases (I work in quality engineering and am quite passionate about testing and its methodology). I'm looking forward to the videos!

#19: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

Fascinating test. Cannot wait to see it!

Re: YouTube reviewers
It is hard to understand why they don't make any contact with the heads behind the products they review. Considering that that will benefit both themselves and the reviewed brand

If I remember well, even Hoffman's positive review had some questionable points that could have been improved with a quick chat

Jonk

#20: Post by Jonk »

Paul_Pratt wrote:Traditional PI 1-2 bar and a gentle ramp up to full extraction pressure
Traditional PI 1-2 bar and a more harsher slam to full extraction pressure
Traditional PI 1-2 and then accidentally easing up of the pressure during PI
A straight shot without pre-infusion would be good to see.

If you have time to spare, "blooming espresso" with it's high pressure pre-infusion would also make an interesting comparison.