Pros & Cons - Londinium-R vs Izzo Alex Leva - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Nick111

#11: Post by Nick111 »

def's
I have never used one, and I never will. I like a plumbed-in dipper, silent operation, massive steaming power, excellent thermal stability, combined with the ability to fine-tune brew temperature via a PID. Once you have used such a machine, there is no way you would consider something else unless you need to operate from a tank. I understand that, but in my opinion a much more enjoyable setup is a plumbed-in dipper spring lever machine.
This is it.

I liked the simplicity(elegance) of the Leva design (how it delivers).
It delivers a very good shot Everytime.Gone are the days of basket preparation.No WDT .
The pid allows for quick temp adjustments and yes(!) it does alter things.I wish it did not
so I could dispose and have an even simpler and more elegant machine.(in and out side)
Like truemagellen I prefer taps to joysticks.
I am past the "lab phase " of my espresso journey.Do not want to look at curves on a screen.
The leva is on a wifi plug from 7:00 to 18:00.I work from home and I drink several espressos every day.
No flush,no funny behavior (machine side or my side :roll: )just very good shots.

Espresso_Monkey (original poster)

#12: Post by Espresso_Monkey (original poster) »

Thanks team...appreciate the insights.

Quick question:
Our water is pretty hard. I haven't measured it yet, but from observation during servicing my current machine.

If I am stupid and don't install softening into my waterline, how does one descale a Leva, which is without a tank?
Would this require opening up the boiler itself and descaling directly? (Which sounds like a big job!)

Cheers!

truemagellen

#13: Post by truemagellen replying to Espresso_Monkey »

Obviously I highly recommend a small inline water softener like you see at some small bars/cafes. but you could easily feed in a solution of citric acid and distilled water in the line using gravity before the boiler is up to pressure. Then shut it off. Let it sit for 20 mins or so. Then use the drain plug on the bottom of the machine. Descalling the group, you could bring to pressure and feed that water through it but again not ideal. Could remove the group and carefully descale it avoiding the solution on the Chromed pieces.

LObin

#14: Post by LObin »

The obvious difference with the LR vs other lever designs is the possibility to adjust the preinfusion to better suit modern roasts. The LR would simply give you much more playroom.

On the other hand, the LSM has been out there for a long time and is quite prestigious. A solid design. Very temp stable. Higher pressure climax if I'm not mistake. So different flavor profiles.

How difficult is it to try both before making a decision?
You can probably reach out to Reiss or on the Londinium forum and see if there's a LR owner near you. Not many places in the world where you can try both a Izzo Leva and a Londinium R...

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

drH

#15: Post by drH »

espressotime wrote:I clean my screen and piston once a month or so.
Easy.
I've made a quick video how easy this is.

It literally takes no more than 5 minutes to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBrGLrmQKCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2NH79H7UAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KqykSNzEQ
But I agree. Some dirt gathers at the piston as you can see in the clip.
But it is just a tiny bit.
Awesome information. How does this cleaning routine compare to a Bosco group like a Pro800. That screen can be easily removed too right? But not the piston? Is it as easy to change piston gaskets or lube the group?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by JohnB. »

drH wrote:Awesome information. How does this cleaning routine compare to a Bosco group like a Pro800. That screen can be easily removed too right? But not the piston? Is it as easy to change piston gaskets or lube the group?

I clean the screen in my Bosco about once a week when it's in use. The screen pops out the same as any E61 style screen. To change the piston seals you remove the 4 allen screws holding the upper & lower half together & lift out the piston spring assy. Last lubed the seals Aug. 2018. Still working fine. The Bosco silicone seals should last many years in home use. No idea what the lifetime of standard rubber seals would be.
LMWDP 267

Espresso_Monkey (original poster)

#17: Post by Espresso_Monkey (original poster) »

espressotime wrote:I clean my screen and piston once a month or so.
Easy.
I've made a quick video how easy this is.

It literally takes no more than 5 minutes to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBrGLrmQKCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2NH79H7UAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KqykSNzEQ
But I agree. Some dirt gathers at the piston as you can see in the clip.
But it is just a tiny bit.
Thank you Alf!
Very useful to be able to visualize. Much appreciated.

RPH

#18: Post by RPH »

Hi,
I highly recommend the LR! I've had one for 3 years now and look foward to using it every day! Adjustable PI gives it great versatility with diff roasts. I live in Hawkes Bay, if you anywhere near and wanting to try one out. Otherwise Riess is in Auckland and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to give you a demo!

espressotime

#19: Post by espressotime »

drH wrote:Awesome information. How does this cleaning routine compare to a Bosco group like a Pro800. That screen can be easily removed too right? But not the piston? Is it as easy to change piston gaskets or lube the group?
There's more :D
The LSM group has only one seal!
It sits above the piston .Reach in there from below and take it out.
No need to take out the entire group.
If you wish I can provide a video of this too.
The seal in mine is 8 years old and still in good nick.
I don' t think there's a group out there that is easier to maintain than the LSM group.
Also it is very easy to remove the springs.No special tools needed.

Nick111

#20: Post by Nick111 »

@espressotime
Thank you.