Project Ater Family

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kenuko

#1: Post by kenuko »

I have not yet seen any pics of the Ater Family lever machine on the forum, so here you go. This is a recent ebay.it purchase I got for a very good price. Everything seems to be in pretty good condition, but I have yet to make any espresso with it. From what I understand this is pretty much the same machine as the Sama Club and Bezzera Family. The group is the same as in the Elektra MCal, which means it is 49mm and not the same as in Sama and Ponte Vecchio Lussos. I hope to get this running soon and will then update with more pictures. What I can say now is that I'm really impressed by the build quality. A really beautiful and well made small piece of espresso history.

- but first coffee.

LMWDP #524

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

These really are beautifully thought out machines. You're basically getting a Cremina that doesn't need frequent refilling and a nice solid frame/base. For the utilitarian aspect alone, this should have been the major design to follow for people who just want a solid, reliable espresso machine as a non-fussed about kitchen appliance. They don't take up a whole lot of space, they are nigh indestructible, and they make excellent shots and are very good steamers.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

+1 on the solid build and compact size. This is different from a Cremina because that's a manual lever and the Sama/Bezzera family machine with the Elektra group is a spring lever. I've got a choice between a Cremina and an Elektra and enjoy both (and others). Today the Elektra Microcasa is taking its turn for morning coffee.

The rebrand is quite a find.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

kenuko wrote:I have not yet seen any pics of the Ater Family lever machine on the forum, so here you go.
You'll find one here: Just curious . . . separated at birth? (rebadging questions)

Nice score, I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

beer&mathematics

#5: Post by beer&mathematics »

Score! Great color too!!! :mrgreen:

Great machine when you get it back together and running maybe you can help me out? If you look at the thread I started when I found a Bezzera Family lever, I took it apart and put it back together but can't get it work quite right :oops:

On the bus so tough to link right now
LMWDP #431

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup »

Looks like a very nice score. I agree with Tom that these are really a perfect compromise for those who want commerical-lever convenience for a normal kitchen counter. I've got the Sama version, a little lower quality but still rock-solid on the counter and maintaining perfect brew temperature all day. The Lusso is the axis upon which our family revolves.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

kenuko (original poster)

#7: Post by kenuko (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for your comments! As I'm a total amateur in restoring these vintage espresso machines it has been really interesting taking this apart and trying to understand and fix it. My only restoration so far has been an Arrarex Caravel. The Ater Family really is a very solid and compact machine. There have however been some minor problems on the way. The piston seals looked ok and probably would have worked fine, but I still decided to replace them with new Elektra MCal seals.

When taking the machine apart to clean and descale it, I managed to break the sightglass. Took a shot and ordered the Ponte Vecchio Lusso sightglass and the gaskets for it and even though it was a couple of mm longer I still got it to fit pretty fine. Not perfect, but no leaks and seems to work.

When putting the pieces together and turning the machine on it heats up fine, but both the steam and water wands leak a lot. The pressure gauge also stays at zero, but it could be that there is not enough pressure when there are two leaking wands. And not only leaks, but pretty much full steam from the steam wand. Any idea what could be the problem? O-rings? Washers? Scale?
- but first coffee.

LMWDP #524

peacecup

#8: Post by peacecup »

If it is steaming from the steam wand and no pressure is showing the gauge may be broken. You'll probably need a new one, but may be able to fix it or descale the tube.

You should be certain the over-pressure value is working properly and keep a careful watch on the pressure while you're getting it operating. If it's pushing full pressure out the steam wand and the Pressurestat is not turning off you need to make sure it is functioning before you get all the gaskets sealed tight. These machines can explode, so be careful.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

kenuko (original poster)

#9: Post by kenuko (original poster) replying to peacecup »

Thanks, I'm being really careful with this one. At the moment it is pushing steam from the steam wand as soon as it is getting up to pressure. I believe the issues at the moment are old gaskets and probably a broken pressure gauge. So far I have turned it off when the steam wand begins to leak so I'm not yet sure about the safety valve and pressurestat, but there is not yet a reason to believe there is something wrong with those as well.
- but first coffee.

LMWDP #524

beer&mathematics

#10: Post by beer&mathematics replying to kenuko »

Woah--same exact problem with my steam wand. I was inspired by your clean up to get mine working too.
LMWDP #431