Profitec Pro 800 Pre-Infusion

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
semicolon1

#1: Post by semicolon1 »

Just received my Profitec Pro 800 and noticed that coffee starts "dribbling" from the portafilter while the lever is in that pre-infusion state. Is that normal? Or, does it indicate I haven't used enough coffee? Or?

Abecker

#2: Post by Abecker »

Is it plumbed in or using the reservoir? Also, how much is coming out during preinfusion.

maxbmello

#3: Post by maxbmello »

Plumbed or resourvoir shouldn't matter since it's a dipper and will preinfuse with the lever down at boiler pressure ~1.1 bars (or whatever you have it set to).

How much is it dripping? I get some beading during preinfusuin, but drips might indicate you aren't using a large enough dose or your grind is too coarse.

Blacktip

#4: Post by Blacktip »

I get a bit of beading during pre-infusion, but I make sure it doesn't drip. Grind finer, dose more, or use smaller basket.

Abecker

#5: Post by Abecker »

maxbmello wrote:Plumbed or resourvoir shouldn't matter since it's a dipper and will preinfuse with the lever down at boiler pressure ~1.1 bars (or whatever you have it set to).

How much is it dripping? I get some beading during preinfusuin, but drips might indicate you aren't using a large enough dose or your grind is too coarse.
I was under the impression that when running off of a reservoir that it uses boiler pressure, but when plumbed it uses line pressure.

humblepie9674

#6: Post by humblepie9674 »

The gain from plumbing in the Pro 800 is that the line pressure will fill the boiler and the pump will never operate; when using the reservoir, the pump is used only to fill the boiler. Pre-infusion is always a function of boiler pressure, regardless of how the water is delivered to the boiler.

The length of pre-infusion time also affects the volume of water that will be pulled in a shot. I've gotten as much as 45 grams out by pre-infusing 5 seconds or more.

That being said, a finer grind or larger dose or both will reduce and/or eliminate coffee dripping from the PF during pre-infusion. I've been playing with those variables and tasting the shots that are way out of the normal timing scope for pump machines, and it's really rather amazing. I have yet to get a sink shot, even with shots taking over a minute to pull.

Hope that helps...