Profitec Pro 800 Lever w/PID - Page 26

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JohnP

Postby JohnP » Feb 06, 2019, 5:18 am

Hi there, I was wondering regarding the warm-up of the pro 800, does it need fake shots or throwing away first couple of shots prior to making the first good espresso? And does it require a warming flush right before pulling a shot since it's a dipper?

I have a restored cma astoria lever and it makes really good espresso when it's nice and warm but it needs a couple of hours to properly warm up and also some fake shots with a drilled blind filter and also when left idle it needs more flushing, so it can be a pain to not be able to just walk up at anytime and pull a great espresso..

bettysnephew

Postby bettysnephew » replying to JohnP » Feb 06, 2019, 9:03 am

Another Bosco Sorrento owner here. The Pro 800 was my other choice when shopping for a machine. At the time I was looking it was quite new and a somewhat unknown commodity. It is of very similar configuration to the Bosco so I fully expect it will probably be a walk up and pull a shot type operation like my Sorrento. The manipulations of shot temperature are something you can do but I have found them to be unneeded most of the time. I must admit to making minor adjustments (.1 - .2 bar) to the boiler pressure seasonally as my machine resides in an area that changes temperature quite a bit from Summer to Winter. If using a drastically different coffee the manipulation by flushing works but I have pretty much settled on one coffee on a day to day basis. It can be good to experiment, you never know what you may find..
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Feb 06, 2019, 9:50 am

HRC-E.B. wrote:Very interested in a good spring lever machine. The reports seem to suggest that shot quality is unmatched and that even the uber expensive high grade machines in the 5 figures can at best emulate it somewhat.

I'd have to disagree with that statement.
LMWDP 267

HRC-E.B.

Postby HRC-E.B. » replying to JohnB. » Feb 06, 2019, 10:21 am

Winning the day's prize for the most useful reply!

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » replying to HRC-E.B. » Feb 06, 2019, 10:35 am

Thank you,. What I've already said in this post pretty much covers it. Slayer or Speedster with Monolith Conical/Flat?
LMWDP 267

HRC-E.B.

Postby HRC-E.B. » Feb 06, 2019, 12:27 pm

Thanks for clarifying.

Seems more in line with what I was trying to express: you can pay more than 3 times as much for a Speedster and it will be roughly the same quality wise but a bit different, not necessarily better.

That said, money being no object, it take the Speedster for the sheer sexiness and mechanical quality of the thing, plus utmost precision of brew temp (taking out perhaps the only hard to control variable in a lever) but it seems hard to argue that it is "better" than a basic spring lever.

Am I getting this all wrong?

Balthazar_B

Postby Balthazar_B » Feb 06, 2019, 1:52 pm

FWIW, my reading of JohnB's response (and his earlier pertinent discussion) is that he disagrees with the statement that a lever is better than an expensive pump machine (like a Speedster or Slayer). Which is not to say it's worse, either. Just different.

Also FWIW, my hunch is that with the degree of repetitive control of temperature, pressure, etc., an expensive pump machine supports, it may be easier to reliably pull palatable shots of lightly-roasted coffees on it than on a lever, but since I don't much drink lightly-roasted coffees nor do I own a Speedster, JohnB would be an authority I'd trust on that score.
- John

LMWDP # 577

redbone

Postby redbone » Feb 06, 2019, 4:56 pm

Been tempted many times on purchasing a larger lever with a commercial 58mm group head. One of the biggest hurdles is the heat up time ranging from 45min+. On a pro-sumer lever such as my current daily Faema Faemina I can get the shot out under 15min. This is a big bonus mon-fri work week and allows two double espresso without the use of a timer first thing in the morning. Also like the small footprint of a pro-sumer machine and ease of flushing water daily with fresh water. The PP800 would be a frontrunner.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

ajay

Postby ajay » Feb 08, 2019, 5:07 am

IMAWriter wrote:For summer use, you could do the 'La Pavoni trick"..just have a cool damp cloth and drape it over the group maybe 15 seconds. I'd do that over messing around with your PID. YMMV

Rob, I'm sorry I missed your post last month. Yes, my mileage does vary, but not as much as temperature on a La Pavoni. Yes, I have read up on tricks like a damp cloth and I am sure they would help if you didn't have a precise means of temperature control like the PID on the Pro 800.

My point was that you don't need an imprecise kludge when you can easily maintain your group at whatever temperature you desire and independently control water temperature in the boiler. Inherent latency of the group means you can easily dial up whatever combination of the two you wish. This amounts to control, not messing around.

Jetgator

Postby Jetgator » Feb 15, 2019, 10:43 pm

Can someone throw a tapemeasure onthe width of the 800? Profitec says 340mm = 13.39 inches, WLL says 16.89 inches. Which is it?
Thanks,