Profitec Pro 800 - Backflushing

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
fdoenz

#1: Post by fdoenz »

I am a newbie and got my P800 a few days ago and was wondering if this machine needs backflushing?

Neuromancer

#2: Post by Neuromancer »

I have no experience with this machine but in general you can't backflush levers ... flush the group after every shot.. clean the shower after a day of use

spressomon

#3: Post by spressomon »

Don't backflush/run a solid back-flush style basket for same with any lever. I generally pull a couple water only shots at the end of each morning's espresso making sessions until the water runs clear to clean it out. Along with about, depending upon your bean through-volume, once per year removing the piston assembly to clean and re-lube the seals (it will let you know when its time to do this).
No Espresso = Depresso

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 »

You can do a portafilter wiggle by holding the portafilter loosely under the filter screen and pull the lever just enough to flow a little bit of water to clean the group head gasket.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Stanic

#5: Post by Stanic »

It is actually quite dangerous to use blind basket with the lever as pressure will build up and would release only when dismounting the portafilter, spraying you and the table with hot soapy coffee water..guys are right and I would just add brushing the shower screen with something like cafiza.
I've worked on the P800 at the barista and latte art training and I love it :-) the power of the steam wand feels ideal for frothing and the coffee is just wonderful :-)

dominico
Team HB

#6: Post by dominico »

If you do ever have a brain fart and find you have locked in a blind filter into a lever group there are different things you can do to minimize the resulting mess:
Cover stuff you don't want to get wet with a towel or simply move it out of range.
Maybe wear an oven mitt or something on your hand, the water will be hot.

Technique 1) The quickest yet still somewhat messy technique:
Pull the lever back down, disengage the portafilter and lift the lever back up right after. It will still spray hot water all over the place, but at preinfusion pressure rather than full spring pressure.

Technique 2) Boiler fed machines: (for example the Pro 800)
Turn off the machine and use the steam want to bleed the boiler pressure down to zero.
Pull the lever back down and disengage the portafilter with the lever down.

Technique 3) line / pump fed machines:
Close the line or turn off the pump.
Pull the lever back down and disengage the portafilter with the lever down.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?