Profitec 800 review in the works - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
puffinjk

#21: Post by puffinjk »

Any of you surprised by the results of this taste test, I'm sure owners of spring levers here might not be, but for others it might be a eye opener, and Dan does seem to enjoy running the machine in the video. Jim

Ozark_61

#22: Post by Ozark_61 »

In the research phase for replacing my original ECM Giotto - and this looking forward to the finished review on this machine for sure. Love the quote you had in the original thread:
By 1991, I was captivated with the espresso machine at the Last Exit on Brooklyn, Seattle's first real coffeehouse, established in the late 1960's
That brought back great memories. The Last Exit was right next to my first dorm (Terry) on the UW campus, and the crowd was a downright circus side show at times. Fell in love over the espresso floats they served there (her and the coffee :D ) .. and was sad when the UW ended their lease and the Exit moved way up north on the Ave - losing most of the colorful crowd and ambiance of the original. Great times.

As I'm researching this, seems like counter space is the tricky part for levers. WLL has some dimensions, but do you have a rough outer dimension sketch of the machine (ie, height to the top of the cup warmer and distance from rear to the back of the grouphead that rises above it)?
LMWDP #570

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by FotonDrv »

mathof wrote:That's great. I'd love to see a similar animation for the Londinium.

Matt
Lots of luck with that wish!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Ozark_61

#24: Post by Ozark_61 »

I don't think I saw it described anywhere, but I'm assuming the bottomless pf that comes with the machine comes with a triple basket? Are you using a double shot ground (17-18g) into the triple or double? I've noticed grinding a double into a double basket is having clearance issues, even with WDT and a level sweep
LMWDP #570

HB
Admin

#25: Post by HB »

According to Whole Latte Love, it comes with three portafilters (single, double, bottomless) and three baskets (single, double, triple). The double is a Faema-style basket (tapered), which is typically dosed at 14-16 grams. For testing, I use a 15 or 17 grams VST basket. I rarely use triple baskets these days.
Dan Kehn

Ozark_61

#26: Post by Ozark_61 »

Dan - have you found that you need to change your routine on this machine if it's been idle for a while vs freshly warmed up? After all these years using an e61, I just feel the need to flush.. :D
LMWDP #570

HB
Admin

#27: Post by HB »

Yes, it idles a bit cooler, so the Pro 800 needs a warmup flush if it's been idle. I recommend a brief flush and then a couple minutes to restabilize. This is a common requirement for heavy thermosyphon groups (E61, Rosco).
Dan Kehn

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#28: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

Dan, did you find that the first shot or two after warm-up were sink shots (i.e., because it takes one or two shots to bring the grouphead up to a consistent temp? From threads I've seen on Londinium, Bosco, etc., lever machines, that seems not to be uncommon. I've often wondered whether there's a way to accomplish the same thing with a pseudo-shot, using something in the PF (cotton?) that is porous, but will mimic the resistance of an espresso shot.
- John

LMWDP # 577

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by JohnB. »

That certainly hasn't been my experience with the Bosco. Unless I want a peak brew temp higher then 198°/199°F I just walk up after a 2-3 hour idle period & pull a shot. No flush & definitely no sink shot. The Bosco does have a reservoir built into the supply tube behind the group so it will behave differently then other dippers with the same group.
LMWDP 267

Ozark_61

#30: Post by Ozark_61 »

LOL... Dan, you're going to have to do a new 'How I stopped worrying and learned to love levers' article :D

Might need a Scace, time, pounds of coffee and a panel of Guineas to graduate to Level 2 geekdom.
LMWDP #570