Profitec 800 group issue

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pcdawson

#1: Post by pcdawson »

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can offer me some help with a new Profitec Pro 800 I recently purchased. After owning the machine for about a month, it began to make a groaning sound when the level was raised or lowered. I immediately thought that the piston seals might need re-lubing. However, upon closer inspection, I noticed that the piston rod and handle appear to be slightly off center. This has created a gap on one side of the group where the large hex bolt attaches the upper cam, which the handle screws into, to the piston rod. On the opposite side, there is no gap. This is where the rubbing seems to be occurring. Can anyone tell me if it is "normal" for Bosco groups to be slightly offset in this way (if so, it might still be that the seals and bore need re-lubing). If it isn't, can anyone suggest a fix? I have emailed the vendor to see if he can fix or replace just the piston assembly, thereby saving me the hassle of shipping the entire machine back. I'm disappointed to say the least - this machine has been fantastic up to this point. I wonder if this is a manufacturers defect, or more damage from shipping that I didn't notice when I received the machine.

Thanks in advance - I am new to the forum, but have learned a tonne from reading all of your collective posts.

pcdawson (original poster)

#2: Post by pcdawson (original poster) »

Further to my post, here are some photos that illustrate what I was talking about.

Thanks!!

#3: Post by pcdawson (original poster) »

Ok - let me try that again.....

Here are the photos with captions this time. :D

This photo shows the side with the gap.

This photo shows the side where contact appears to be happening.

This photo shows the results of the contact.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by RockyIII »

Peter,

I'm sorry to hear you are having that problem with such a new machine. The groaning sound you mention is what others have described when the spring is rubbing inside the group. There have been various discussions regarding that, and you can find them with a search. I don't know if there is a single definitive answer or fix, but I think contacting the vendor is a good idea.

Rocky

#5: Post by pcdawson (original poster) »

Thanks Rocky - I did read though many of the groaning spring posts. However, I was surprised to see the gap on one side of my group and not the other . This, plus the evidence of contact on the upper cam (as seen in the photos) got me thinking that maybe this was the cause of the noise. I'm wondering if anyone else with this machine has a similar gap.

Cheers

Pete

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

I can tell you that it isn't normal on a Bosco. After 8 years of daily use there is equal spacing on both sides & no sign of contact on my Sorrento. Are both of the allen bolts tight? Perhaps you can adjust the spacing by loosening one, tightening the other to move the center piece over?? I've never had that top section apart so I'm not sure if the lever mount position can be adjusted that way or not.
LMWDP 267

#7: Post by pcdawson (original poster) »

Thanks John - I gave that a try earlier but with no luck. I may give it another shot though . Pete

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

You can see a good breakdown of that upper section in this thread: New victim for measuring piston pressure: the BOSCO group It does look like those allen bolts would center it. Gabor has certainly had them apart so you might send him a PM.
LMWDP 267

#9: Post by pcdawson (original poster) »

Thanks again John. Tried to center the piston and cam by adjusting the two hex bolts but with no luck. One thing I noticed was that the hex bolt on the side with the gap is very stiff and squeaky. In contrast, the other hex bolt loosens quietly and smoothly.

#10: Post by pcdawson (original poster) »

An additional question - can anyone tell me if the four small hex bolts connecting the lower and upper group are loosened by turning them counter clockwise or clockwise? The two large hex bolts that connect to the handle are loosened by turning clockwise. Is it the same for the four smaller ones too?

Pete