Profiling brewing pressure with La Pavoni Europiccola [video]

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
naked-portafilter

#1: Post by naked-portafilter »

I thought it would be easier - after we made it for the Cremina (Olympia Cremina monitored/controlled pressure profiling [video]) - but it wasn't :-). It's still a project in progress but it's promising:

ilker

#2: Post by ilker »

Hi Gabor,

End of the pull, I saw some sponginess.
I really wonder that air trapped in the group can effect the pressure profile on the puck or not?

Because my second shots have no sponginess and a bit harder to pull. (grind-dose are all same)

Thanks.

naked-portafilter (original poster)

#3: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

Hi Ilker,

To be honest this is the Millenium Pavoni of the turner who works for me :-). My experiences with this model are very limited. I was surprised myself about the sponginess. There is surely a slight difference between the pressure profiles of the the two situations but don't forget that you will mostly compensate these differences as you pull.

day

#4: Post by day »

Hm after a recent discussion with samuellaw on the forums I have been pulling a bit harder, at 37lb, and ace had some good results (and bad) it does look like this is a bit spongy, have you followed all of rpavlis tips for eliminating air?

But...We need to get that puppy on a scale, that looked like alotnof force...have you considered moving your grip to the very end of the lever to maximize the benefits, rather than choking up to the top of the handle? Makes it hard to tell where the force is being applied.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

ilker

#5: Post by ilker »

I suggest to pull a second shot right after the first one and compare.

#6: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

Thanks for your suggestions. But it was just a demonstration for the pressure gauge. I use mainly my Olympia Cremina or Club, sometimes my old Pavoni. The mill Pavoni belongs the turner below my roastery.

#7: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

Oh yes, the grip and the two hands pull. I couldn't pull as usual (left hand on the pf handle), because of the camera. And I had to stay in the distance for the same reason :-). Above this the Pavoni Millenium isn't really a "heavyweight" lever. I think now you understand my desperate fight with the "forces" and the Millenium Pavoni.

ilker

#8: Post by ilker »

so how was the taste? :)

#9: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

Hi there,

Status report: it is ready for everyday use.

#10: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »