Pressure Profiling. - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
espressotime

Postby espressotime » Mar 14, 2019, 10:09 am

animus128 wrote:What type of beans are you pulling? For beans more on the medium or dark side I feel liken very simple profiles E61 style get the job done perfectly fine. For light roast however I had great success with stuff like 5 second "no pressure" preinfusion, then 15-20 seconds low pressure preinfusion and then a 40 second pull keeping flow constant (so I guess decling presssure). There the difference to standard profiles is huge!

Medium to dark beans as you mentioned.

robkinghorn

Postby robkinghorn » Mar 18, 2019, 10:51 am

After reading a few of these posts, I realize I have a lot to learn. I can't find the photo, but I believe Guido posted a picture of a Basetech infrared thermometer that he used to measure group temperature. I found one. So now, I'm trying to get that temp up to 90...not happening. If I bleed the machine, pump the lever a couple times I might get the reading up to 80.
I pulled a shot at that temperature that was pretty good.
What am I missing here as far as boosting the temp? (I'm probably missing a number of other things too)
I'm thinking of adding the Naked portafilter gauge on the '79 as well.
Thoughts on that?
Thanks so much.

robkinghorn

Postby robkinghorn » Mar 18, 2019, 11:37 am

Also, I fill the La Pavoni to above the top of the glass tube. Shouldn't that make for a faster purge? I'm trying to pull three shots plus steam milk. I thought if I purged a lot I might use up too much water just for the purge?

vit

Postby vit » Mar 18, 2019, 12:32 pm

robkinghorn wrote:After reading a few of these posts, I realize I have a lot to learn. I can't find the photo, but I believe Guido posted a picture of a Basetech infrared thermometer that he used to measure group temperature. I found one. So now, I'm trying to get that temp up to 90...not happening. If I bleed the machine, pump the lever a couple times I might get the reading up to 80.

I suppose you know that you can't get reliable IR reading off the shiny surface ?

robkinghorn

Postby robkinghorn » Mar 20, 2019, 9:40 am

Yes, the brochure recommends you don't use it on shiny surfaces. I didn't know that at the time.

fredgab

Postby fredgab » Mar 20, 2019, 12:33 pm

I was used to do it regularly on a cremina grouphead, what did the trick was an electrical black tape applied to the side of the group. We could at least have very consistent temperature readings with an IR thermometer.
You can try it for sure on a pavoni!

fred
LMWDP #596

guijan12

Postby guijan12 » Mar 20, 2019, 1:10 pm

robkinghorn wrote:After reading a few of these posts, I realize I have a lot to learn. I can't find the photo, but I believe Guido posted a picture of a Basetech infrared thermometer that he used to measure group temperature. I found one. So now, I'm trying to get that temp up to 90...not happening. If I bleed the machine, pump the lever a couple times I might get the reading up to 80.
I pulled a shot at that temperature that was pretty good.
What am I missing here as far as boosting the temp? (I'm probably missing a number of other things too)
I'm thinking of adding the Naked portafilter gauge on the '79 as well.
Thoughts on that?
Thanks so much.

Stick a little piece of electrical insulation tape to the grouphead.
Colour of the tape doesn't matter.
Read the IR meter from the tape.
This will improve accuracy of the reading to 99%
Regards,

Guido