Preheating the Flair Espresso Maker, wet or dry? - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
todoornot

#41: Post by todoornot »

My perfect fit is the bottom part of a 2 cup Pezzetti stainless steel moka pot - even cheaper! :wink:

hurl

#42: Post by hurl »

When I was boiling the cylinder in my kettle, I would consider it hot enough once it took the kettle 5 mins to boil. With the moka-pot steaming method, do we have an idea of how long it takes for the cylinder to get to maximum temperature while using steam alone? Also, it gets to the same temperature with inside-diameter steaming via the mokapot as it does with full submersion-boiling with the kettle?

Also, you're using the same water you're generating the steam from as the water to pour into the cylinder to pull the shot with? Or are you using a separate kettle for that water? The cezve has a handle and would be easier for pouring the boiling water into the cylinder, but the mokapot bottom looks unwieldy unless you attach the top back to it cause it has a handle for pouring.

I like the idea of being able to grab the cylinder by the grip and put it on the portafilter basket rather than use tongs/etc.

todoornot

#43: Post by todoornot »

If you can find a cezve that fits, yes it is preferable as the handle allows you to use this water for the extraction too. With the moka pot I also use a boiler, which is no problem as I had already one on the bench. As for the time it takes, I first bring the moka pot water to boil without the cylinder (I use the boiler to do it quickly) and then put the cylinder on. I immediately then grind (electric), wdt and tamp and the cylinder has always reached by then its top temp of 105c (outside surface, measured by temp strips). By the time I mount it and fill with water it may drop to 85-90, which is still much higher than the method of preheating by sealing the cylinder with the piston, inverting, filling with water AND covering with a cup (if I remember well it goes to 65 and then another 5 if I repeat - always outside surface measured by strips).
Now I don't know about the temp when boiling inside the boiler but with steam, like I said 105c outside seems to be the max.

Fisher

#44: Post by Fisher »

I have found I get a much hotter brew chamber when I preheat with the Moka pot steaming method, than I do with submerging the brew chamber in boiling water.

In addition, this allows me to take more time to assemble everything, as the temp in the chamber is usually hotter than I need by a couple of degrees. Once I pour in my "just off the boil" water into the brew chamber, I take a temperature reading of the water inside the chamber to be sure I have the brew temperature I want.)

happycat

#45: Post by happycat »

I noted a few people using the word "tongs" and also "submerging" cylinders in water.

The alternative I use is a small pair of pliers. I grip the silicone tab on the sleeve to lift a cylinder out, dry it with a cloth. Then I place it in the Flair. I heat two cylinders at a time in a covered pot with a half inch of water in the bottom. Serves two well.
LMWDP #603

todoornot

#46: Post by todoornot »

todoornot wrote:and the cylinder has always reached by then its top temp of 105c (outside surface, measured by temp strips).
I was wriring from memory, that should be a top temp fo 100c, sorry I ve been meaning to correct it for days.

Fisher

#47: Post by Fisher »

hurl wrote:When I was boiling the cylinder in my kettle, I would consider it hot enough once it took the kettle 5 mins to boil. With the moka-pot steaming method, do we have an idea of how long it takes for the cylinder to get to maximum temperature while using steam alone? Also, it gets to the same temperature with inside-diameter steaming via the mokapot as it does with full submersion-boiling with the kettle?

Also, you're using the same water you're generating the steam from as the water to pour into the cylinder to pull the shot with? Or are you using a separate kettle for that water? The cezve has a handle and would be easier for pouring the boiling water into the cylinder, but the mokapot bottom looks unwieldy unless you attach the top back to it cause it has a handle for pouring.

I like the idea of being able to grab the cylinder by the grip and put it on the portafilter basket rather than use tongs/etc.
If I moka-steam the brew chamber for 2 minutes, and quickly place it on the portafilter, and pour boiling water into the brew chamber, the water temp will be in the vicinity of 205 degrees... gives me time to let it cool a bit, before placing piston on top... if you are shooting for brewing at 197 degrees, for example.

dc_espresso

#48: Post by dc_espresso »

Hi all,

Thanks for the discussion on this. Very keen to try the steam pre-heat with the Moka pot as the water method is quite tedious. Just confirming that in-fact the Flair Signature Pro will fit well with the 3 cup Bialetti - https://www.amazon.com/Original-Bialett ... 196&sr=8-3

MikeTheBlueCow

#49: Post by MikeTheBlueCow replying to dc_espresso »

It definitely fits on the 4-cup Venus https://www.amazon.com/Induction-Capabl ... 00067WBU4/. If the 3-cup is any narrower, I don't think it will fit.

Fisher

#50: Post by Fisher »

regarding the 3 cup Bialetti pot...

To be sure before purchasing, you could email Bialetti to compare the diameter of their pots:

https://www.bialetti.com/contact_us-d.html