Post your Cafelat Robot recipes

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Birofunk

#1: Post by Birofunk »

This was briefly discussed on the Robot mega-thread and it was suggested that a new thread was started specifically for peoples recipes.

It seems the Robot, much like the Aeropress, has almost unlimited combos but I think that's one of the things that makes it so much fun.

I'll start with mine, I'm a couple of months in on my Robot journey so I'm still finding my feet. This is what I generally shoot for.

1. 17-18 grams medium roast (pre heat & updose if lighter)
2. Dose from grounds bin into portafilter using an Aeropress funnel. Shake and tap counter. WDT if clumpy. Light tamp. Press screen down.
3. Water @ 100°C
4. 10-12 second pre-infusion at 2 bars
5. Ramp up to 6 bars and hold
6. Slow ramp down for the last couple of seconds
7. Generally hit a 2.5:1 ratio somewhere in the range of 30-40 secs and get the bright sweet shots I like drinking!

Charlemagne

#2: Post by Charlemagne »

Reposting my recipe from Cafelat Robot Temperature Tests:

I've had dramatically better tasting shots with light roasts after preheating the piston and using a 30s PI at 2bar. I use these cups to preheat the piston as well as drink from. They're actually so perfectly sized that the piston gasket holds them in place with no support underneath! If you get the water level right, suction holds the cup on the piston and stays there while I load my preheated basket for the shot. Plus the cups are double walled so the heat goes mostly into the piston rather than into the cup material.

My light roast workflow:

preheat PF and basket resting right side up inside the rim of my kettle set to 100C
Grind 18g fine enough to choke the robot if PI were not used
fill the little double walled cup halfway with boiling water and stick on piston
load basket with coffee, distribute, tamp, fill with boiling water up to about 3mm below overflow
remove cup from piston and lock in PF
dump warming cup, place on scale, tare, start timer
start shot by ramping to 2 bar and holding until timer reads 30s. (I see drops in the cup around 20s.)
slow ramp to 6bar and hold until 36g (2/3 of target yield) in cup
slow ramp down to 4bar finishing at 54g (3:1 ratio) around 1:15 typically.
enjoy a light roast shot that doesn't taste like lemonade!

mkane
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mkane »

18g
pre heat porta filter
15 sec pre - infusion using forearms
35 sec plunge = 50 sec. total time
Nice sweet cups

Nate42

#4: Post by Nate42 »

Here's a fun one, Dalgona Espresso:

Use a medium/dark roast that extracts easily
Put a paper filter in bottom of basket (I use a chemex filter cut to size) This is required, it won't whip up with excess oil
22g dose, very fine grind (on my monolith grind would be 2 major notches finer than I use for my standard 17g dose)
Preheat portafilter using "overflow" method (pour in just of the boil water until it overflows, allow to overflow for 5 seconds)
30 second pre infusion
Slow ramp up to 8 bar
ramp pressure down toward end of shot, 22g out, 1:30 shot time.
transfer to small mixing bowl, add 15g sugar (xfer before you add the sugar, you don't want to leave any sugar behind)
whip for a few seconds to mix in sugar, than put bowl in freezer for a few minutes
Remove from freezer, whip the snot out of it for 10minutes or so, until you get stiff peaks. Definitely recommend an electric mixer for this.
Pour over milk and ice, enjoy!

Birofunk (original poster)

#5: Post by Birofunk (original poster) »

Charlemagne wrote:Reposting my recipe from Cafelat Robot Temperature Tests:

I've had dramatically better tasting shots with light roasts after preheating the piston and using a 30s PI at 2bar. I use these cups to preheat the piston as well as drink from. They're actually so perfectly sized that the piston gasket holds them in place with no support underneath! If you get the water level right, suction holds the cup on the piston and stays there while I load my preheated basket for the shot. Plus the cups are double walled so the heat goes mostly into the piston rather than into the cup material.

My light roast workflow:

preheat PF and basket resting right side up inside the rim of my kettle set to 100C
Grind 18g fine enough to choke the robot if PI were not used
fill the little double walled cup halfway with boiling water and stick on piston
load basket with coffee, distribute, tamp, fill with boiling water up to about 3mm below overflow
remove cup from piston and lock in PF
dump warming cup, place on scale, tare, start timer
start shot by ramping to 2 bar and holding until timer reads 30s. (I see drops in the cup around 20s.)
slow ramp to 6bar and hold until 36g (2/3 of target yield) in cup
slow ramp down to 4bar finishing at 54g (3:1 ratio) around 1:15 typically.
enjoy a light roast shot that doesn't taste like lemonade!
Have been struggling a bit with light roasts so I'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow.. Thanks for sharing!

mkane
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mkane »

Grind them finer

sergiyr

#7: Post by sergiyr »

Did anyone happen to get the Dad to the Bone release as part of the Father's Day promotion with Fellow and Onyx Coffee Lab? I'm wondering how I can brew something nice out of it. Its been coming out extremely sour from the single origin Ethiopia Worka beans.

I tried 19 grams ground fine enough to choke the machine and then pulled back, full portafilter of water fresh of the boil and tried slightly longer pulls than 1:2. For what its worth, this is the first coffee I'm trying with the Robot but also my AeroPress came out way sour too. I don't know if its me or the beans :(

Charlemagne

#8: Post by Charlemagne replying to sergiyr »

Sounds like underextraction to me. Here are some things to try:
  • smaller dose
  • finer grinds
  • higher yield (3:1)
  • preheating portafilter
  • preheating piston
  • longer preinfusion
  • my recipe above

violin_geek123

#9: Post by violin_geek123 »

I would cup the coffee to rule out any underdevelopment issues in the roast. Only because you said it's coming out super sour in your Aeropress too.

Edit: So I don't go off topic in this thread, here is my recipe. I'm currently sticking to medium roast Italian style blends, first with Red Bird and now Buzz Coffee NCK blend:

17g, ground at 18 dots on my Helor 101 with contemporary burrs
Water at 212°F (100°C) in the kettle, no preheat
Wdt, level, light tamp
Pre-infusion at ~2 bar for 12 seconds (sometimes up to 15)
Pull at 7-8 bar to end up with 30 grams of espresso in the cup, usually finished around 35 seconds or so.

The above is for the straight shots I drink....when I make iced lattes for the family I just pull until I think there's enough in the glass.
Brian Hong

sergiyr

#10: Post by sergiyr »

Is there a specific reason why the handful of the recipes posted here lean towards long pre infusion and long shot times? I'm just getting started with espresso but from what I saw on YouTube everyone is looking for around a 30 second shot time. Is there a fundamental difference on extraction time with a lever machine?

I understanding needing more for lighter roasts but if I'm starting with a dark roast shouldn't the target times be similar to machine times? As far as I understand, we're creating the same brewing environment in the Robot as electric machines just with manual force and perhaps a bit more control on parameters relative to entry machine. Am I misunderstanding something? :?: