Possible Issue with Olympia Cremina Piston Pressure Kit Install (wet pucks)?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JCS7282

#1: Post by JCS7282 »

Hey All,

Just installed a piston pressure kit on my new Cremina.

Everything seems to working propertly...gauge is showing pressure, no leaks, coffee extraction generally looks/tastes good...BUT...

I have noticed ever since installing the kit I am getting a very wet, soupy puck left behind in the PF. This is in stark contrast to before installing the pressure kit, where the puck was quite dry with no water left behind at all.

So my question is, did I somehow botch the installation? Or have others with the kit witnessed a similar result after installation?

Best,
John

jmotzi

#2: Post by jmotzi »

Hi John,

I also have a new Cremina and installed the Piston Pressure Kit which I used with the gauge prior to moving over to the bluetooth device. I have not experienced the issue you report. Then again I do drink my espresso at the machine prior to removing the portafilter for post-shot weighing & cleaning.

I am not sure if it makes a difference, but did you install the stainless steel spacer between the shaft & piston? It's not shown in the videos but it is mentioned on the box sticker to be used with the "recent" Cremina.

JM
LMWDP #662

EtIaLiCenD

#3: Post by EtIaLiCenD »

I had the same thing when I didn't follow the instructions and didn't install the spacer. After installing the spacer my pucks are perfect.

JCS7282 (original poster)

#4: Post by JCS7282 (original poster) »

Hey all,

So, yes, I forgot the spacer too! Paying too close attention to the video and not enough mind to the written directions...

New issue...now that I have reassembled everything once again, I am getting a drip from the group head / screen once the machine is warmed up.

My assumption is that I have damaged one or more of the seals, but hoping some of the experts here might be able to give me their thoughts.

Thank you
John

mikel

#5: Post by mikel »

Hi John,
First time I installed the kit I didn't tighten the shaft at the bottom of the piston head enough, and some water was able to drip through when under pressure. Tightening it up stopped water from seeping between the shaft and the piston head.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by LBIespresso replying to mikel »

Same here. I was worried as well and thrilled that it was such an easy fix.
LMWDP #580

naked-portafilter

#7: Post by naked-portafilter »

Best practice to prevent this kind of leakage at the bolt/bottom of the piston is that you re-tighten it after the insertion in the group head (not covered in the video about the assembly :-(, I should make some updates to that short film). Everything in place except the shower screen. Also helps if you grease the bolt which holds the piston slightly.

Be very careful with the group head gasket if you remove the screen again: Olympia Cremina 2011 grouphead gasket change - how to avoid damaging it

JCS7282 (original poster)

#8: Post by JCS7282 (original poster) »

Thanks all and especially thanks to Gabor for the H-B forum and email support.

Tightened the bolt and problem solved!