Portafilter not fitting into group head

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
shrugrice

#1: Post by shrugrice »

I recently acquired a La Pavoni (pre-millennium, probably from around 1980). I did some work on it, replacing gaskets etc. I just tried to pull a shot, but ran into an odd problem.

I don't have an espresso grinder, so I bought some ground La Vazza espresso to try. I used 14g to fill the basket, tamped it, and then tried to put it in the machine, but it wouldn't fit. I think the shower cap is pressing up against the coffee. I could only fit it in when I used 10g.

Two baskets came with the machine, and I'm using the larger one. I've looked around on youtube a bit, and it seems similar to the baskets others are using (understanding that the group head is bigger on millennial models.)

So I'm wondering what might be wrong here. Is it possible the shower screen is somehow sitting too low? I did break down the group head when I replaced the gaskets. Is it possible that that reinstallation somehow set the shower screen in the wrong position?

Has anyone run into a problem like this?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Post some pictures of your shower cap and your basket, maybe the shower cap wasn't put on quite right.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
SeekingGodShots2

#3: Post by SeekingGodShots2 »

You referenced performing some work on the machine including piston gasket replacement. Did you remove the grouphead sleeve? I recently replaced my sleeve and could not get the portafilter to lock on to the grouphead. The sleeve wasn't spun in completely. I had to perform the adjustment twice to really set the sleeve into its proper position so that the portafilter locks in.

Also, be sure the portafilter gasket is flat side down.
LMWDP #548

shrugrice (original poster)

#4: Post by shrugrice (original poster) »

yakster wrote:Post some pictures of your shower cap and your basket, maybe the shower cap wasn't put on quite right.
I tried to take a few shots. Here you go.

#5: Post by shrugrice (original poster) »

SeekingGodShots2 wrote:You referenced performing some work on the machine including piston gasket replacement. Did you remove the grouphead sleeve? I recently replaced my sleeve and could not get the portafilter to lock on to the grouphead. The sleeve wasn't spun in completely. I had to perform the adjustment twice to really set the sleeve into its proper position so that the portafilter locks in.

Also, be sure the portafilter gasket is flat side down.
My machine, maybe because it is pre-millenium, does not have a sleeve. My portafilter gasket, also did not have a flat side. Possibly also because it is pre-millenium?

#6: Post by shrugrice (original poster) »

I think I've figured out the problem here. I had purchased espresso coffee as a place to start from the grocery store, but despite it being labeled espresso, I don't think it was ground as espresso. The other problem I was having was that when I lifted the lever up to introduce water into the group head the coffee just started flowing out, and when I pulled down there was no resistance whatever, since the coffee had already drained through. So just too coarse a grind.

My guess is that this also meant that the coffee filled up the basket much more, so for 14 g of coffee the basket was just too full. I'm gonna experiment some more, but I'm feeling confident this is what was going on.

bgnome

#7: Post by bgnome »

Stale grinds will also do this. You can't really get pre-ground fine enough to get a good pull. The rule of thumb is to use the coffee within 15 minutes of grinding it. If you aren't grinding it yourself, I wouldn't worry too much about how it pulls.

Advertisement

#8: Post by shrugrice (original poster) »

Oh I knew that fresh grind is good, but didn't realize the consequences were so great as to effect flow. Unfortunately, I have an Ode and so can't grind espresso until I work out some new gear. Been trying to decide whether to buy a manual grinder, or spend more and get a good second grinder that isn't too expensive, can do espresso, and is an interesting complement to the Ode.

cafeIKE

#9: Post by cafeIKE »

After coffee, the grinder is the most important piece of hardware. Save up for the best grinder you can afford. A well made grinder will last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance.

jtrops

#10: Post by jtrops »

In my experience the La Pavoni is very particular about freshness of beans, and quality of grind. If either one is a little off you won't get good pulls.

I have been using hand grinders for years, and they have come a long way. At this point there are many options for suitable grinders under $200, and if you go used it's not uncommon to find them at half that price.

Good Luck with your La Pavoni adventure!