Portafilter for Aurora Brugnetti? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
turboyeast

Postby turboyeast » Mar 09, 2019, 11:37 am

Guys,
Thanks for responding...
I did some digging in my boxed machines. Found a portafilter of a Gaggia Orione and Conti prestina (great machines btw, restauration time??).

Conti prestina - NO FIT
EBM = 84
ID = 61.5
KH = 30
KL = 7.6

Gaggia Orione - FIT
EBM = 77
ID = 61
KH = 28
KL = 7

So the EBM (outer diameter) has to be something like 77-79 mm, perhaps smaller.
This gives me more direction in my search. Disadvantage of the Gaggia Orione portafilter is that the ears or a 2-7 position (instead of 3-9).
I will give this thread a follow-up.
Cheers, TY

turboyeast

Postby turboyeast » Mar 11, 2019, 8:10 am

Some more measurements, obtained from Espresso Service West (https://www.esw.nl/)
I am adding an extra parameter, namely portafilter thickness (TN). The latter could be crucial...
I have to check out the diameter of the group entry.
Cheers, TY

Aurora Brugnetti original
EBM= 79 mm
TN = 66.7 mm
ID=62 mm
KH=5.5 mm
KL=26.5 mm

La Marzocco
EBM = 83 mm
TN = 67 mm
ID = 62 mm
KH = 6.5 mm
KL = 28.4 mm

Wega
EBM = 82 mm
TN = 66.7 mm
ID = 61.5 mm
KH = 6.5 mm
KL = 27 mm

La Cimbali
EBM = 81.2
TN = 65.6
ID = 61 mm
KH = 5.1 mm
KL = 23 mm
★ Helpful

turboyeast

Postby turboyeast » Mar 12, 2019, 4:30 am

LS.,
I did some additional measurements on my group.
The group can only accept a portafilter with a outer diameter of 71.8 mm and 80 mm on the ears.
I have been browsing portafilters untill they started dancing before my eyes, but failed to find anything suitable.
The Gaggia portafilters seem to fit, but the ears are (annoyingly) on the 14.00 and 19.00 position.
So to summarize, I need a p/f -straight ears- with the following dimensions:

A: max 80 mm
B: max 71.8 mm
C: max 62 mm
G: max 6.5 mm
H: max 29.5 mm

Cheers, TY

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Mar 12, 2019, 8:42 pm

What portafilters are being made for the version of the Brugnetti Aurora now being engineered by HB member bidoowee? Maybe he can provide one for you that will fit, or have you checked that out earlier in the thread?

Building a lever machine.... from scratch
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Paul_Pratt

Postby Paul_Pratt » Mar 12, 2019, 10:33 pm

I have posted before on many threads about this, but the height or thickness of the ears is meaningless. What counts is the measurement from the underside flat of the ear to the top of the portafilter rim.
★ Helpful

turboyeast

Postby turboyeast » Mar 15, 2019, 4:13 pm

Paul_Pratt wrote:I have posted before on many threads about this, but the height or thickness of the ears is meaningless. What counts is the measurement from the underside flat of the ear to the top of the portafilter rim.

I agree with the ears...

So...I almost gave up and decided to put my naked plans in the fridge. But, after a long and thorough search -taking into account the abovementioned advice- I concluded that the Gaggia Classic portafilters are the only ones to (potentially) fit my group. So I ordered a nice naked version and...YES a fit.
Only slight disadvantage is the position of the ears (positioned at 14.00-20.00 instead of 15.00-21.00), but this is only an esthetical issue.
See the video for my first naked shot. Yes, there are a lot of things to improve...but time is on my side! I love this machine... :)
Thanks everybody!

Cheers, TY

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Mar 15, 2019, 4:20 pm

Thanks for the update! What I found even more interesting is that clearly there are at least two different version of the Aurora group heads floating around.

p/s: nice steam wand insulator. :P