Ponte Vecchio Lusso vs. Bezzera Strega - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cskorton (original poster)

#21: Post by cskorton (original poster) »

Well, thank you guys for pointing out the Quickmill Rapida deal idrinkcoffee, because I just pulled the trigger on it. I'll have to post an update in a couple of weeks once I receive it.

After way too much research, I was actually trying to convince myself to get a E61 dual boiler machine, specifically the Lelit Bianca. Then, I realized for my usage it just didn't make sense. I only drink espresso, my wife only drinks americanos, with the rare cappuccino in there.

The Strega looked awesome, but I wanted a traditional, simplier machine and I feel like I'd end up upgrading a Lusso.

And, these pressure profiling machines only try to replicate what a lever does anyway. Add to the fact I really enjoy Italian blends, think exact temperature control is overrated, and the ease of maintenance on a lever compared to a dual boiler, it was a convincing argument.

The final straw was realizing I'm hand grinding with Kinu M68 anyway, might as well continue with the hands on approach!

And, if I ever get curious about an E61, I can always buy a cheap little HX for less money than a Bianca.

Can't wait to pair a fresh sfogliatella from a South Philly Italian bakery with my new lever, I bet it'll be just like in Napoli.

Advertisement
LObin

#22: Post by LObin »

That's awesome Chris! Congrats!!

I guess I'm going to call IDC on Monday morning to redeem my "share with a friend" points... :lol:

Please do report back as you will soon be one of the very few on this side of the pond with the Rapida.

No need to think about E61's anymore. I think you'll be pretty happy with your choice! Like they say: " Once you go lever, you don't go back"! :shock:

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

cskorton (original poster)

#23: Post by cskorton (original poster) »

As an update, the Rapida came but it was very damaged from shipping, sadly. Idrinkcoffee was amazing and gladly allowed me to ship it back and refunded me. Great company to do business with, even though it didn't work out for me.

Serendipity is a funny thing, however. It turns out, there was a local guy trying to sell his Londinium R, which I ended up buying.

I'll have to post another topic, but all I can say is I'm absolutely in love with the lever and the espresso I'm getting out of it is exceeding my expectations.

LObin

#24: Post by LObin »

That was meant to be!

That's quite a good turn out of events!

The QM Rapida remains a bit of a mystery for most of us but Londinium is definitely in a different league. Especially the LR with it's tank fed / adjustable preinfusion pressure / bluetooth operated.

Congrats!

Londinium's customer support is a great reflection of the quality of their product. Even if you're the second owner of the machine. Top notch!

Kudos to IDC for being responsible and dealing with the issue this way. Although it's probably a very small percentage of their machines that end up damaged in shipping, I have heard of other similar stories in the past.
They may want to consider a different carrier.
Londinium use DHL Express. It's not cheap but this kind of stuff never happens. It has to be one of the most reliable service out there.

Congrats again!

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

DanoM

#25: Post by DanoM »

cskorton wrote:As an update, the Rapida came but it was very damaged from shipping, sadly. Idrinkcoffee was amazing and gladly allowed me to ship it back and refunded me. Great company to do business with, even though it didn't work out for me.
When I bought my Strega from IDC it was properly packaged and labeled with UP markers, but the UPS man literally ROLLED the box out of the back of the truck, up the sidewalk and up my stairs. I was aghast! At a complete loss of words at the time. Luckily opening up and inspecting showed that due to their great packaging only a plastic cover on the lever pivot was cracked and easily replaced. Great company to work with.

Incidentally, now living in Japan I get great delivery service. I can drop a couple of items into a small paper bag, tape the top edge a little, slap on a label and expect it delivered to the final destination in an upright manner the whole trip. Cell phone sent in for service was placed in a clear plastic bag with no packaging and returned back the same. Shipments get scheduled for delivery date & time. And things that would never make it through delivery in the USA like plates only need a sheet of paper between the plates. The difference in service is amazing! :D
LMWDP #445