Ponte Vecchio Export: Easy to Use, Harder to Recommend - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
crazy4espresso

#11: Post by crazy4espresso »

I hope Ponte Vecchio can resolve the QC issues because these little machines are capable of fantastic espresso. I've become a fan of these groups, having restored a number of older Rivieras and a Sama Export. I would be a real shame to see the Export fade away.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

grog

#12: Post by grog »

For group servicing, last week I was able to use a tool that someone recommended in the PV Export mega-thread: a machinists jack. I've had the displeasure of servicing the group via the dreaded c-clamp method multiple times and it's by far my least favorite lever group to work on. Just a giant PITA really.

However, with the machinists jack, it was a much easier undertaking. I placed a section of 2"x4" across the drip tray and base, and then a piece of 1"x4" of similar length on top of that. Remove the shower screen, place the jack directly under the piston face, and proceed. Most of the adjustments were around determining the optimal configuration of the wood sections that support the jack. But I never had any issues with slipping and you don't have to consider the top of the piston at all - just extend the jack until both pins can be removed, take off the lever, wind the jack back down and remove the piston, perform whatever necessary service to the group, replace piston, set wood supports in place and extend jack again. It's still a bit tricky getting the lower seal into the piston, but at least with this method you can do so without worrying that the c-clamp will fly off at any moment and chaos will ensue.

These tools can be had for roughly $20:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5HONN2
LMWDP #514

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#13: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Here's an interesting post for 3-D printing a piston removal tool.

Ponte Vecchio Lusso piston removal tool
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Bluecold

#14: Post by Bluecold »

drgary wrote:I will leave that to resellers. This was a review machine, not one I bought.
Seems fair
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

cuppajoe

#15: Post by cuppajoe »

Hi Gary -

Your experience pretty much mirrored mine rebuilding the SAMA version. I think the main design problem is the way they engineered the boiler/cover assembly. The boiler has two studs that go through the housing, which is two parts, then the housing gasket, then the base. Three hands would come in handy as you try to keep the mess aligned while tightening the nuts on the studs.

The boiler base plate with the element is also a bodge. It's inset too far, which makes installing the wiring and Pstat a pain. They also just use two cap screws to attach it, making getting a good seal a hit or miss affair. Get it wrong and you have to go through the whole procedure above again. Add to that the silicone gasket replacement is much more difficult to seal properly. I ended up using a hand made rubber one. If you have to replace the element in a SAMA, be prepared to go through a lot of grief getting the new connectors on.

It's a nice little machine and the overall quality is good, but it seems to have the sloppy QC situations in fit and finish that I'm also seeing in the LP Pro I'm working on. The user is not going to see any of this and will be happy with it. Now the tech that has to work on it...

Sorry for the rant, engineering with no thought to service is a pet peeve after 30 years of repairing.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

crazy4espresso

#16: Post by crazy4espresso »

I was able to service this machine with some very basic tools. Whoever said the manufacturer intends the consumer to service their own machines anyway? Have you lifted the hood of a modern car? Everything hidden, nothing accessible, dozens of special tools needed. They are not building with serviceability by the end consumer in mind.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#17: Post by drgary (original poster) replying to crazy4espresso »

Regardless of whether a manufacturer intends it, a product doesn't stand on its own. It works within the environment of its customer base, including the availability of service technicians. Some products are well designed for servicing and use and some are more challenging. The Ponte Vecchio group is harder to service than an Elektra or La Pavoni and a better solution would not be difficult, if the manufacturer were mindful of serviceability. The difficulty of servicing modern cars is a good example. Unable to service them ourselves we rely on technicians to do so at high cost.
Gary
LMWDP#308

jfrescki

#18: Post by jfrescki »

Happened to notice today that the Lusso is back in stock at 1st-line. Probably over a year since it was in.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#19: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Please note that my review is about the Export, not the Lusso.
Gary
LMWDP#308

sorrentinacoffee

#20: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

I think this is a fair and honest review of the PV machines- the good and the bad- and most of what you have encountered is applicable to the Lusso version as well.

the 3D printed tool is potentially the best thing that has happened for a long time in the Ponte Vecchio world. Though I haven't tried it yet- and I can see a few possible issues- it could be just the ticket. As the design stands the main issue I see is getting the middle seal to go into the piston correctly. On the factory tool there is that alloy guide ring that does that- when you use the clamp method you can manually do it as you can see the seals as they go in- and poke the middle one. If that middle seal is not guided there is a very good chance it will split- or get half rolled over in its groove. I think the 3d plan could be changed so that the interior of the PF acts as the guide- or you could print the seal guide part too.

Has anyone out there actually printed and used this tool?

With any lever you really want to be able to access the seals easily- as an occasional lube with silicon will keep it functioning much better. At the moment I am using a Sama club at home- the lever was starting to get a bit sticky- I lubed the seals and now it is working perfectly again.