Please help identify equivalent lever piston shaft.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
miab

#1: Post by miab »

This is from an italcrem / visacrem old machine. It is worn down at lever end in the cam. This allows piston to touch the shower screen when piston fully in down position. I cannot find a parts diagram or part number or source to buy one. Short of getting this one welded and filed is there someone who might know equivalent from another manufacturer. There is also heavy pitting on mine so it will be better for a new one even though pitting doesn't interfere.
Thanks

miab (original poster)

#2: Post by miab (original poster) »

Also, is this circular bearing supposed to be tight in the cam or is there supposed to be a little play up and down?

Advertisement
Sansibar99

#3: Post by Sansibar99 »

Your group reminded me of the one on my Conti Empress . but there are some slight differences.

Here is a link to the dismantled Conti group - maybe it helps you...
https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/cont ... ost-958112
LMWDP #422

boost

#4: Post by boost »

I think on the Conti it may have been two pieces and I did not see noticeable gap on mine. Surely I did not have problem with piston touching the screen.

This is the closest one I can find but it is not cheap for trial and error.
http://www.cafeparts.com/Lever-Group-Ec ... duct/13377

miab (original poster)

#5: Post by miab (original poster) »

Hi Holger and Pra
Yes there are many similar things as I looked through your photos. The steam and water valves, sight glass and it cover ,... I wish my machine was as beautiful as yours. I wonder if I will be able to live long term with this machine after all this effort. I have not tried a drop of coffee with this yet. In your Conti and Boost's It looks to be a removable cam profile. Mine is not but integral to the shaft. I think I could have a whole new one fabricated for the cost of that cafeparts unit.

In either of your units does the roller fit snug into cam profile or is it loose? If loose how loose would you say?

thanks guys for the help

Paul_Pratt

#6: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Have you tried to have it repaired? It looks fairly straight forward and would probably cost a fraction of a new part. The wear seems to be only at the top and in the middle so the machine shop will have references to work from in getting the correct thickness back.

It is very similar to the new modern lever groups..

http://www.cafeparts.com/Espresso-Machi ... Brew-Group

The roller bearing in the fork slot is not a tight fit, but has a little slop.

The only drawback of having it repaired will be the chrome will tarnish, but you will have a functioning machine and can always get it replated.

boost

#7: Post by boost »

I did not see noticeable gap on mine. Originally mine came with snap on screen like yours but I ended up using IMS E61 shower screen. A regular E61 shower screen is a bit deeper than IMS and it might clear your piston, at the expense of the headroom in your basket of course.
If you have measurements on the distance of your piston to the base of the group where the portafilter gasket sits then I can measure my standard E61 screen depth.

Advertisement
miab (original poster)

#8: Post by miab (original poster) »

Hi Paul
Yes I will probably have it repaired but I really do prefer to buy a new one if it was reasonable. I know somewhere in some dusty corner of a warehouse somewhere there is one. Yes you are right that the wear looks to be on the top side only. I was thinking of brazing the underside where there is wear with someone that can do it in steel like the shaft is made of, if this is even possible. Brass is too soft. But now I think I will have the top cut off and reweld a new piece of steel . What do you think? There is no chrome on this piston shaft. It is steel so cosmetics is not so important. I can polish after.

miab (original poster)

#9: Post by miab (original poster) »

Pra, good idea with IMS screen if I was going to keep it as is and use it but I think once I repair the cam profile I will be ok to use original type screen.

boost

#10: Post by boost »

It does seem like older Conti and Italcrem/Visacrem shares quite a bit of parts.
I think they are all fell under Spanish Gaggia or Iberital and it seems the part number exist for your shaft

http://www.sreweb.com/parts/NEWPAGE/esp ... oParts.htm

I have not dealt with SRE before but I have heard that they have quite a bit of old machines out on ebay so it may worth a try.

http://www.iberital.com/catalogo/downlo ... GAGGIA.pdf

You might want to contact iberital as well to see if they can help you but if I recall before I think they would not deal with individual.