Piston pressure gauge for Strietman CT1 - Page 12

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mfortin

#111: Post by mfortin »

Nice realization Gabor.

RyanP

#112: Post by RyanP »

After a few bumps in the road I'm happy to have finally joined the naked CT1 family. :) Never would have thought that I was routinely pulling shots that peaked at around 7 bar! 9 takes more effort than I would have guessed. Looking forward to more experimenting.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#113: Post by mivanitsky »

naked-portfilter wrote:We've modded a lid for my CT-1 today. I will speak to Wouter about this. It would be more logical to produce these parts in the Netherlands.

<image>
Very nice prototype. I may have a local metal shop do this for me, if you guys don't offer it for sale.

CwD

#114: Post by CwD »

naked-portfilter wrote:We've modded a lid for my CT-1 today. I will speak to Wouter about this. It would be more logical to produce these parts in the Netherlands.

<image>
Nice! Excited for when they come out to get my heat retention back up a tad and my evaporation back down a tad. Hopefully with some slightly more rounded off corners on the final product.

Besides wanting a lid, the gauge has been pretty great! Fun to mess around with different pressures pulling shots. Been doing a lot of 6, a lot of 9, and a bit of profiling with numbers anywhere from 3 to 12 in the mix.

naked-portafilter (original poster)

#115: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

RyanP wrote:finally joined the naked CT1 family. :)
<image>
Great news Ryan. Enjoy!

Modded lids: I ordered 10 raw lids. Wouter will them deliver end of August. I hope we can make the cut in September.

paborden

#116: Post by paborden »

For anyone who's been using the pressure gauge ... can you speak a bit to how having it has changed your shots, consistency, really any improvement you've noticed?

John49

#117: Post by John49 »

RyanP wrote:After a few bumps in the road I'm happy to have finally joined the naked CT1 family. :) Never would have thought that I was routinely pulling shots that peaked at around 7 bar! 9 takes more effort than I would have guessed. Looking forward to more experimenting.

<image>
I also pull my shots at around 7 bar. Not having a piston I calculated the force needed to generate 9 bar and used a bathroom scale under the CT1 to verify the exertion, 33 lbf will produce 9 bar.

CwD

#118: Post by CwD »

paborden wrote:For anyone who's been using the pressure gauge ... can you speak a bit to how having it has changed your shots, consistency, really any improvement you've noticed?
Best part is that being able to see what the pressure is opens up more room for experimenting with it.

I can do a straight pull consistently enough without it, or even some variation, but if I want to mess around with something like "Preinfuse at 3 bar for 15 seconds, then peak at 12bar dropping off quickly to 9bar, continue until halfway through the shot and ramp down to 6bar for the remainder", it's a great help. Can also switch between straight 9, straight 8, straight 6, etc without having to be so familiar to know what each feels like by memory.

My "normal" is preinfusion with the resting weight of one arm and then 8bar pull. But I experiment somewhat often.

paborden

#119: Post by paborden »

Thanks all

CwD

#120: Post by CwD »

Has anyone heard anything about the lids to work with the gauge?