PID on Olympia Cremina

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
trolker

#1: Post by trolker »

Hi, im going install a pid on my Cremina boiler. I'm between gicar pid or a rex style. I will love to have the option of a second switch for steam. Can I do this? With a pid? One set for espresso and second for steam? Any help? Thank you so much

LObin

#2: Post by LObin »

Giorgio (Espresso Italiano) makes a bunch of accessories and mods for small levers. He had 1 or 2 PID kits for sale on eBay although I don't see any at the moment.

Not sure exactly how switching to the full power for steam works but his kit looks like this:
Here's his eBay profile. You can contact him directly or PM me for his email.

https://ebay.ca/usr/castorin8

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

Advertisement
trolker (original poster)

#3: Post by trolker (original poster) »

Thank you very much

bas

#4: Post by bas »

Why do you want a PID?
You need boiler pressure of >0.7 bar to get proper filling and preinfusion.
And you need to have the GHT at around 80 degrees.
The thermal mass of the group has the biggest influence on the extraction temp.
I am running my C82 at 0.9 bar with the heat breaker gasket from the current machines installed: GHT idle ~80 degrees.
Just perfect for most roast.
For I very light roast one or two 'dry pumps' is enough to raise GHT to 85.
A PID makes more sense on a open boiler design.
The heat breaker gasket is a game changer for vintage Cremina's.
Just my opinion.
★ Helpful

drH

#5: Post by drH replying to bas »

I was thinking the same thing. The group temperature on my 2020 Cremina idles at 79C, just perfect. I get the interest in making temperature management simpler, but the boiler temperature is OK as is. The PID won't help with group fluctuations. On some model Pavonis it may be a different story if the group naturally overheats over time.

#6: Post by trolker (original poster) »

Thank you! I dont have Heat breaker. Im looking to pid because I have my pstat at 0.8 and I feel steam not powerful. With a pid or another pstat I can change to steam option when I neeed

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

trolker wrote:Hi, im going install a pid on my Cremina boiler. I'm between gicar pid or a rex style. I will love to have the option of a second switch for steam. Can I do this? With a pid? One set for espresso and second for steam? Any help? Thank you so much
Most(all?) single set-point PID's also have an additional on/off "alarm" circuit. PID kits like Auber's use this functionality to provide separate brew and steam controls.

However, I don't immediately see why you would need to do this. You could have the pressurestat set for steam pressure, and the PID set for brewing.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement

#8: Post by trolker (original poster) »

Hi, yes o think on this exactly. Use the pid for brew temperature and a switch for change to pstat tuned to 1.2 or so.?

LObin

#9: Post by LObin replying to trolker »

What's going on with your Europiccola??? :shock:
LMWDP #592

#10: Post by trolker (original poster) »

:D mi second boiler haha works like a charm . Set at 1.5 bar and professional wand.