PID on Olympia Cremina - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
trolker (original poster)

#11: Post by trolker (original poster) »

baldheadracing
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing »

trolker wrote:Hi, yes o think on this exactly. Use the pid for brew temperature and a switch for change to pstat tuned to 1.2 or so.?
I would start at 1.0bar and see what that's like. Someone here must know what the pressure the boiler safety valve is set at.

FWIW, I'm thinking of doing the same on my new-to-me Europiccola. I'm thinking of having the pressurestat in series so it acts as a fail-safe if the PID gets confused (as I will put the PID's temperature sensor on the group). The switch would be between by-passing / not-by-passing the PID, i.e., the pressurestat would always be in the circuit (as would the over-temperature protection).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

#13: Post by trolker (original poster) »

Good idea! Safety valves not sure but I think 2 bar tested.
My pavoni steamer not open at 1.5-1.6.

#14: Post by trolker (original poster) »

Now I'm not sure if use a cheap pid like rex or use a gicar pid of lelit or expobar ..

bas

#15: Post by bas »

trolker wrote:Thank you! I dont have Heat breaker. Im looking to pid because I have my pstat at 0.8 and I feel steam not powerful. With a pid or another pstat I can change to steam option when I neeed
With heat breaker you can increase boiler pressure to 1.0 bar on top of the cycle. Plenty of steam. And group still ~80 degrees. That gasket is a much cheaper and more sensible solution imho.

★ Helpful

#16: Post by trolker (original poster) »

Is for Cremina? Ptfe?

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#17: Post by jwCrema »

Increasing pressure of the boiler to fix a steam issue seems like a logical step. However, we don't know anything about the steam wand. Can you send some pictures of it? Are you sure it isn't clogged?

The Cremina, with the correct steam wand does all the steam you will need at .7 - .8 bar and your espresso will taste better.

#18: Post by trolker (original poster) »

Hi. I have the Cremina 67 wand. 3 hole. I have had 3 more creminas. All comes near 1 bar from factory . Or more . I lowered to 0.8 normally but I feel poor steam.

Cremaniac

#19: Post by Cremaniac »

I set my '82 Cremina Pstat set for 1.2 bar. Entire machine plugs into this setup, boiler temp (104c) on top PID gives .75 bar for brewing. I just bump up 10 106 for steam and let Pstat do its thing when frothing. No permanent mods to the Cremina.
Lower PID is strictly inlet group temp indicator. 2"dia. 2 bar pressure gauge
12v PIDs,I have a fully self contained box with quick disconnects planned.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by jwCrema »

trolker wrote:Hi. I have the Cremina 67 wand. 3 hole. I have had 3 more creminas. All comes near 1 bar from factory . Or more . I lowered to 0.8 normally but I feel poor steam.
There are many posts in this forum about the three hole steam wand for the Cremina. Some plug a hole or two, or they purchase a one hole tip from a guy on Etsy or eBay. If you have the welded tip wand, and the machine was previously used, it is difficult to properly clean them.

I prefer the one hole tip, but the biggest reason I converted to the one hole tip was that is removable and simple to keep clean.

I just use a manometer cap on the Club/Cremina to calibrate the pressure- I have never experienced a need to take it over .9.