Peppina Redux - Page 26

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Bluecold

#251: Post by Bluecold »

Is it a squeak or a groan? A groan could indicate your piston seal being almost gone and your piston rubbing against the inside of the cylinder. Not good.
A squeak could indicate the lever hinge needing lubrication.
My spring is silent fwiw.
The kettle can be cleaned with soap. Just rinse very well afterwards.
I cleaned the base with white vinegar, but citric acid would probably work better.
Don't ever get citric acid on the enamel, it eats away the shine.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Peppi

#252: Post by Peppi »

I'm afraid it's too late. I've allready used citric acid on my kettle just to read right after it that I shouldn't have. I'm not yet clear of the damage it did.
It's more of a squeaking and I've allready tried to get lube into all the places accessable. My piston O-ring is as good as gone though. I can tell since very small amounts of water are sometimes leaking out of the bottom hole. I've ordered a kit from orphanespresso today so I guess I might go a bit easy on Peppi till the package arrives.

CoffeeOwl

#253: Post by CoffeeOwl »

So why is this thread titled Peppina Redux? What does the word redux stand for?
And second question, why has timo removed the content of many of his posts? :shock:
My Peppina has not yet arrived.
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

yakster
Supporter ♡

#254: Post by yakster »

Redux means restored, brought back, or revisited. I consider this to be one of the main La Peppina threads and love to see activity here. Not sure about the content question you asked.

I've been meaning to finish my rebuild of the La Peppina. I changed out the gaskets and O-rings, and the dispersion screen after I bent and scratched it up trying to get the stuck screw out that I ended up drilling out anyway, but haven't treated the little spots of rust along the rim of the kettle yet. I picked up some black and white porc-a-fix high temperature enamel paint but haven't had the time yet to work on it.

Once I've done that, I need to roast some more espresso and get back into pulling shots. I want to roast some decaf because I had a few sleepless nights after a particularly satisfying night session of pulling espresso. I saw a couple of La Peppina's on eBay the other day and I'm going to try a Bellman CX-25 on the stovetop for (soy) milk steaming instead of using the microwave and a frothing wand.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

espressme

#255: Post by espressme »

The Bellman is a great steamer!
-Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

CoffeeOwl

#256: Post by CoffeeOwl »

yakster, Thank you!
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

Carneiro

#257: Post by Carneiro »

Hi, there!

I've bought a La Peppina from Italy, it's not in great shape but it was a good deal (EUR 100). Some pictures:

I need to clean it all. I've managed to disassembly everything but I can't figure out the enamel removal. I'm feeling kind of dumb, probably it's easy, but... How do I remove the kettle/enamel?

The chrome on the group is ugly, I wonder if it's worth find someone who can chromate it again.

Thanks!

Márcio.

CoffeeOwl

#258: Post by CoffeeOwl »

Congratulations! Needs good cleaning for sure.
Looks like you got the version with steaming possibility; mine doesn't have it and therefore, there is just a screw which holds the metal bottom with the enamel kettle down instead of the metal pipe. I don't know what is the difference here for the one with steaming option.
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

Carneiro

#259: Post by Carneiro »

Yes, thanks! I was thinking about this, the other ones without the steam gizmo has a screw... Then, after some time not thinking about this, I observed better and there it is:

:mrgreen: The holes were there, but I wasn't seeing them.

Márcio.

Carneiro

#260: Post by Carneiro »

OMG!