Pavoni unknown model?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Mario

#1: Post by Mario »

Hi at All, after my Krups died, looking for access to more serious espresso machine.
I find out this machine for restoring, looks and I believe is a authentic La Pavoni but I don't find any reference to specific model.
Looks very very old but have a huge boiler.
Anybody can advice to me.
Regards
Mario

mogogear

#2: Post by mogogear »

Knock off I would say by the way the group attaches to the boiler and the boiler cap. La Cara, La Graziella or similar copy.
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Mario (original poster)

#3: Post by Mario (original poster) »

Well , La Cara looks very different.

Group of mine looks like a primitive Europiccola, including the attach to boiler

Can you see screw type attach, no bolts.

ideor

#4: Post by ideor »

Hello Mario,

In the past La Pavoni maintained licencees in Spain and Australia. It is certainly possible that they had one in Argentina as well. All the fittings on the machine appear as if they would interchange with those of the original La Pavoni Europiccola as manufactured ca. 1960-74.

The two items which look a bit different are the boiler and the sight glass guard. Normally a first generation Italian built Europiccola would have only one hole in the left side of the base. It is possible your machine was made with two holes or that somone added a pilot light or other feature on their own.

The one thing that is touchy in rebuilding examples from about 1960-71 is that the group's cylinder must be unthreaded to gain access to the piston. On these machines the shower/dispersion screen/ducetta is machined into the bottom of the cylinder and cannot be removed. When you remove the pf gasket two pin holes will be seen 180 degrees apart in the seat for the pf gasket. These are employed to unthread the cylinder. A special tool must be made for the purpose. Attempting to turn the cylinder with a mallet and punch will only gall the pin holes. If you are very fortunate your example may be from the last two years or so (ca. 1972-3) before the big change to the bolt on group without the water jacket. In these late production first generation machines the shower screen is just an interference fit with the end of the cylinder and is easily removed. This means the piston may be accessed without touching the cylinder.

Am sorry group has not been able to assist you more with your most interesting find. If you proceed with the refurbishment please post again to let readers know how you are coming along.

Best wishes with your interesting machine,

Ideor

Mario (original poster)

#5: Post by Mario (original poster) »

Hello Ideor, thanks for your reply.

Sorry for delay but I was working joining parts.

In the sixties Argentina's closed economy produced locally everything under license from Ford cars to Rca Radios.

Is absolutely logical that they could be produced here, in fact was my first idea. But in this case must have one in each home in Buenos Aires.

And I never see one before.

Of course I ask to MARCFI, and they very friendly said me "In the past we produced something similar" and in this particular case they added

"Speak with La Pavoni ..."

Well, I spoke with La Pavoni and they tell me " Is a 1960's launched Europiccola"

I asking for more detailed history now.

But possibly this machine was a prototype or one of limited production , maybe local or specific market. Or simply an essay for posterior production.

The Europiccola with huge boiler was commercially launched ten years after with a name, Profesional. but with a restyling that today all we knows.

Obviously this coffee maker is a previous design, like you tell me , have a dispersion screen build-in, and surely when was produced not have a specific name except generic Europiccola.

Many times, more as desirable, a lot of info of marginal productions are missed, many times depend of old protagonist memory or the official papers was missing and research become archeological.

Thanks for your friendly reply

With pleasure I will add any news of this topic.

Regards
Mario

Mario (original poster)

#6: Post by Mario (original poster) »

Well, answering my question, and finishing the search La Pavoni tell to me that '60 Europiccola "with caldaia of 1.5 litres without manometer was called "Ambassador".
I'm very satisfied for friendly reply from La Pavoni people and very grateful to forum member for all your help.

Regards
Mario