pavoni europiccola - thermostat versus pressurestat versions

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
chopinhauer

#1: Post by chopinhauer »

Hi everyone,

I'm a longtime, and fairly devoted pavoni europiccola user.

My current machine, a 1980 model, is going pretty well, but I'm keen to get another pavoni machine for the office.

I'd like to stick with the europiccola model, but am not sure whether it is better to go with the older version which has two switches, or the newer versions introduced sometime in the 1990s (even before the millennium modifications) which apparently have a pressurestat instead of two thermostats. Of course, I am used to the two switches of the thermostat based machines, and intuitively I think they must give better control because they allow for differentiation between the temperatures for making coffee and steaming. I just can't see how a pressurestat can do that, for wouldn't it just rely on the same temp (or pressure) for pulling the shot and for steaming? Are my assumptions wrong, or in anyway skewed?

Anyway, I'd really appreciate advice on this from those of you who know about such things, or have an informed view.

many thanks,

Robert
LMWDP #027

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

The two switch piccolos I remember had neother a pressure or a thermostat, just a two stage heater and an escape valve that blew steam. Both switches for warm up, then when it whistled, just the low heat switch, then back to high for steaming. Since the pressure was regulated by a pop valve, the pressure was always the same once the machine wa warmed up, no matter whether one or both switches were used. There may have been an intermediate version with thermostats, but this is how I remember the old machines.

gammeltoft

#3: Post by gammeltoft »

True!

The old 'piccolas didn't sport any temperature or pressure controls (besides the safety valve). The two switch heater was an extremely simple setup that can also be found on the old Microcimbalis. The pressurestat was introduced with the Pavoni professional. In any case I'd go for a model built after 2000 where they changed, and in my opinion substantially improved, the grouphead.

Best

Thomas

srobinson

#4: Post by srobinson »

I think with these designs that evolve, the old adage holds true...the newer the better. I have heard one or two comments on the overall build quality of the millenium versions to present day, but not enough to say if they are of lesser quality than the ones from the late 80s through the 90s. I do like the single switch versions. Mine was one of the first piccolos with the single switch and have had no major issues with it.
Steve Robinson

LMWDP #001

chopinhauer (original poster)

#5: Post by chopinhauer (original poster) »

thanks guys. I guess my talk of thermostats on older pavonis was a bit loose. I really just meant a heating element with a low and high setting. I'm no tech head so my terminology was misleading.

Still, what I would like to know is what advantage does the pressurestat add over such a design? Intuitively it seems to me better to steam and brew at different temperatures and the pressurestat keeps the temp stable, doesn't it?

So I guess I'm asking, what advantages do the newer pavonis have over the older ones? And for that matter, if the europiccola and the pro now both use a pressurestat what is the difference between them other than size, a pressure gauge and price.

(As for the millenium model, I'm still a bit suspicious of them because of the nylon sleeve used to cool the group head. For me, the more parts the more that can go wrong, and plus it would seem to make changing the piston gaskets more complex).

Anyway, sorry for all the question but I really am keen to get another pavoni and want to get the right one for my uses.

Robert
LMWDP #027