Pavoni Europiccola pre'-mill' boiler leaking after new boiler seal & full-rebuild

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
rophow

#1: Post by rophow »

Hi all, have seen a few similar threads but hoping someone can help.

I've had a 1998 model since 2008, bought 2nd hand) - dodged servicing it but got round to a full strip and rebuild recently inc' some new parts and mods. Works fantastically now, and have added a coffee-sensor bong to avoid over-heating, which I found happened a lot previously.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason the boiler seal is leaking and had caused a fair bit of corrosion since the rebuild.

I'm guessing this is because I haven't been able to tighten the o-ring enough, but I have no idea how to get it any tighter. Can anyone suggest any tips or tricks? Committed to getting it back to full working order!!!

Thanks.

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

If it's leaking at the o-ring seal between the boiler ring and element base you might try a thicker o-ring. HB sponsor Stefano's espressocare sells one, there may also be sources in the UK. The stock one is 80 mm OD and about 3.5 mm thick.

Note that one terminal looks burnt and corroded while the other looks nice and clean. I doubt it is leaking there but should be addressed. A poor contact or a bad crimp will cause it to overheat at the connector.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Utking

#3: Post by Utking »

Also the wires doesn't seem original? I'd be careful exposing that type of wire to heat as it can become crispy, silicone braided cables would be preferred!

And yes you should clean the rusty connector and recrimp as well, make the metal shiny before you plug it in again

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

Utking wrote:Also the wires doesn't seem original? I'd be careful exposing that type of wire to heat as it can become crispy, silicone braided cables would be preferred!
Hmm - that looks like original wiring for that period based on F. Ceccarelli pictures. And should be fine - pretty much the same as the ~14 or ~16 AWG 200℃ silicone insulated wires that I would choose if I were replacing them. Do clean up that terminal and strip back the wire and crimp on a new connector.

P.S. For 230V 16 awg should be more than adequate. For 110V some would prefer the thicker 14 awg wires. Either will fit in the typical connectors used here. You can also get woven fiberglass sleeves if you worry about wires that may contact a hot element base.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h