Paint stripper inside Zerowatt 708 boiler?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ppaolo2

#1: Post by ppaolo2 »

Hello,

I have bought a Zerowatt CA 708 Made in Spain and the paint inside the boiler is flaking due to aluminium oxidation.
Since I would like to use it to make coffee, is it safe to use a paint stripper inside the boiler or is it better to use sandpaper and elbow grease?
Thanks

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

I found this to be an issue with the "made in Spain" version as opposed to the "made it Italy" version which I own.
Luckily my Italian version has a pristine boiler interior.

With regards to removing the paint. I guess you can always use a stripper as long as you remove the entire piston assembly and flush profusely post.
You can also use a light wire brush attached to a rotary tool or drill. Be careful not to be overly aggressive and form deep scratches on the malleable soft aluminum.

Exposed aluminum will be fine for water usage once a oxidized protective layer develops. I would add de-chlorinated water with and oxygenator like Nellie's Oxygen Brightener https://www.nelliesallnatural.com/shop/ ... ner-pouch/ overnight in tank to speed up the process. Do this a few times and you will see the initial bright aluminum darken to a grey.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

ppaolo2 (original poster)

#3: Post by ppaolo2 (original poster) »

Thanks for your reply,

I was thinking about paint stripper to avoid removing the heating element, otherwise the drill would have been the best option but I'm not sure if I can remove the HE without breaking anything.

redbone

#4: Post by redbone replying to ppaolo2 »

The 708 it one of the most difficult heating elements to remove.
If you can avoid removing it do so and leave it in place.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549