Owner experience with the Strietman CT1 - Page 73

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
erik82

#721: Post by erik82 »

You just put a dry cut filter on top. And same as with a bottomless portafilter it saves cleaning. After 40 espresso there's still no sign of coffee oils on the top of the dispersion screen.

Where my extracton starts depends on my prep. If I only use the blind shaker than it starts at the edges and moves inwards but the time between that is so small that it's just a normal extraction. If I use the blin shaker and after putting the grounds n the filterbasket also do a swirl with a small whisk than it moves from the middle outwards but also very quick. Extractiowise both are perfect but just start different.

bbmm75

#722: Post by bbmm75 »

RyanP wrote:Been switching it up lately and having fun pulling a different kind of shot in the CT1. Vast majority of the espresso I drink is light roast SOs and blends but every now and then I get the hankering for a comfort shot, and I find it fun to change up as it's a different pulling experience with the lever. Less coaxing to optimize extraction and complex sweetness and a quicker more gloopy thick espresso reward. About as dark as I'll go is a blend like Victrola's Streamline. They usually pull it at the cafe as a tight ristretto, but I prefer it a bit closer to a normale. 18g in 34 out. 200F. 6-7 seconds of 3 bar preinfusion followed by 7 bar all the way through for about 30 seconds.

Friends don't let friends believe that levers can't pull thick syrupy crema rich comfort shots. 8)

Lovely shot. Who makes these cup?
LMWDP #680

Espressoman007

#723: Post by Espressoman007 »

Hi,
I have a DB machine, but I have no experience with lever machines and I am thinking about buying a Strietman. My question would be, how hard is it to actually pull shots (8-9 bar) with Strietman? I've seen some videos where it looks extremely easy, but that seems a bit suspicious to me. Just like hand grinders, often people, even manufacturers, make videos with the softest possible beans just to give an impression that it's really easy, but in reality it's quite the opposite. I had that experience with Orphan Pharos.
I've read on Kaffee Netz forum some honest experiences that to pull shot at 8-9 bars (with Strietman) that person had to use both hands. I am not asking if that is true, but my question would be is there a kit that goes with Strietman which makes that process easier? Or there isn't?
I've also read that there are some extra accessories.
Can you please tell me which and what's their purpose, or can you direct me to a place where I can read more about it?
On the Strietman website I didn't notice that they come with the machine. I am speaking of CT2.

Thank you.

Cheers!

John49

#724: Post by John49 »

For 9 bar you will need to apply 33 lbs.(15 kg) of force, you can lean into it and use mostly body weight, so pulling shots does not require an undo amount of force.

Laddu

#725: Post by Laddu »

Yes, you need both hands to reach 9 bar. I fact, around 21-22kg are needed for 9 bar pressure. You either use your body, shoulder and elbow or use both hands with some body pressure as well. .

John49

#726: Post by John49 »

Exactly 15 kg to reach 9 bar.

Laddu

#727: Post by Laddu »

Well, maybe your gauge is a little off.

For me, I put the entire machine on a bathroom scale and I get around 21 - 22 kg for 9 bar on the gauge.

Doing the math, the ratio between the lever arms is 6.5. 5 cm between the small arm and the pivot point and around 32-33 cm between the pivot point and the place where I put my arm to press the lever.

The piston has 43mm diameter and surface area is 14.5 cm2

If you multiply the ratio with the scale number and divide the result by the piston area you get the pressure in bar.

So, in my case 32cm long arm/5 cm short arm*21kg scale reading/14.5 piston surface=9.2 bar

Taking into account some error in gauge reading and scale reading and measurement, I would say it is a good enough result. The naked gauge shows around 9 bar for around 21 kg on bathroom scale.

For 15 kg you have around 6 bar

mikel

#728: Post by mikel »

Strietman and Cremina owner here with Gábor's piston kits. I haven't found anything magical about 9 bar with the coffee's I drink. To me, this is lore that keeps getting passed down as gospel without enough critical evaluation for ones taste and beans. Somewhere between 6-8 bar tastes better to me. I'm not interested in worse tasting drinks with lotsa crema.

John49

#729: Post by John49 »

Laddu wrote:Well, maybe your gauge is a little off.

For me, I put the entire machine on a bathroom scale and I get around 21 - 22 kg for 9 bar on the gauge.

Doing the math, the ratio between the lever arms is 6.5. 5 cm between the small arm and the pivot point and around 32-33 cm between the pivot point and the place where I put my arm to press the lever.

The piston has 43mm diameter and surface area is 14.5 cm2

If you multiply the ratio with the scale number and divide the result by the piston area you get the pressure in bar.

So, in my case 32cm long arm/5 cm short arm*21kg scale reading/14.5 piston surface=9.2 bar

Taking into account some error in gauge reading and scale reading and measurement, I would say it is a good enough result. The naked gauge shows around 9 bar for around 21 kg on bathroom scale.

For 15 kg you have around 6 bar
Ah that explains the difference, I apply force with my palm at the very end of the lever, so in my case the ratio is 38.5/5.

Espressoman007

#730: Post by Espressoman007 »

mikel wrote:Strietman and Cremina owner here with Gabór's piston kits. I haven't found anything magical about 9 bar with the coffee's I drink. To me, this is lore that keeps getting passed down as gospel without enough critical evaluation for ones taste and beans. Somewhere between 6-8 bar tastes better to me. I'm not interested in worse tasting drinks with lotsa crema.
I mentioned 9 bar as some direction, just to get some information on how much effort is needed. I pull my shots now with Bianca mostly at 8 bar with declining tendency towards the end of the shot. I finish my shot at 2 bar (last 5-7 sec). What about those kits, Gabór's piston kits or if there is something else, what's that for? And when I see people pulling shots with CT2 or CT1 (Wouter too) with almost no effort, how do you explain that?
Is there a video where I could see for real how much effort and strength is needed?

Thanks.

Cheers!