Owner experience with the Strietman CT1 - Page 68

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pGolay

#671: Post by pGolay »

Hi Chris - I am far from expert, and learning as I go, but here are a couple things I've noticed:

- the temp knob on my machine is so stiff that it is actually hard to tell if I've moved it or if my fingers have slipped, or both. That was one reason to get the thermo pen involved.

- I am not quite convinced that the water temp is actually all that consistent between uses. I need to test more carefully. I'm not sure what prompted Wouter to change the thermostat in the CT-2 ... I'm just sayin'

- the water temp, according to the thermo-pen through the lid, goes up (several degrees) *after* the red light comes on - that is, after the heating element has shut off in the group, as I understand things.

What I've been doing lately is get the basket ready in this water-temp-climbing phase so I get the shot pulling at my target temp or close to it. I'd be happy to hear anyone's thoughts or advice for workflow...
-PG

erik82

#672: Post by erik82 »

pGolay wrote:- the temp knob on my machine is so stiff that it is actually hard to tell if I've moved it or if my fingers have slipped, or both. That was one reason to get the thermo pen involved.
This is why I put the much larger ES3 knob on the CT1 which works much better. It has ridges on the outside so it's not that hard to feel if you're turning or sliding over the knob
pGolay wrote:- I am not quite convinced that the water temp is actually all that consistent between uses. I need to test more carefully. I'm not sure what prompted Wouter to change the thermostat in the CT-2 ... I'm just sayin'
The temperature is really consistent between use. I measured this a lot and almost no difference on subsequent days using it for multiple hours at a time. The reason Wouter changed the thermostat is that the one on the CT1 has a much smaller range which makes termpature adjustments much easier. The old one is say 20-120C which means very small adjustments have a big effect. The new one has a much smaller range so can be adjusted easier. Nothing to do with temperature stability.
pGolay wrote:- the water temp, according to the thermo-pen through the lid, goes up (several degrees) *after* the red light comes on - that is, after the heating element has shut off in the group, as I understand things.
That's correct. Mine has a range of about 2C with a very stable peak for around 30s when it reaches the max temperature.
pGolay wrote:What I've been doing lately is get the basket ready in this water-temp-climbing phase so I get the shot pulling at my target temp or close to it. I'd be happy to hear anyone's thoughts or advice for workflow...
I've been doing the same. Normally I put the filterbasket in at around 30s after the red light turns on.

pGolay

#673: Post by pGolay »

Hi Erik - thanks for the clarification/confirmation. I'll carry on assuming I'm more or less getting it right.
-PG

naked-portafilter

#674: Post by naked-portafilter »

James Hoffmann's very first pull on a Strietman (WOC Berlin):

Laddu

#675: Post by Laddu »

pGolay wrote:Hi Erik - thanks for the clarification/confirmation. I'll carry on assuming I'm more or less getting it right.
How is your CT1 paired with the Niche Zero? Do you feel the need to upgrade the grinder? I will receive my CT2 soon, and I was wondering how the combo works.

pGolay

#676: Post by pGolay »

How is your CT1 paired with the Niche Zero? Do you feel the need to upgrade the grinder? I will receive my CT2 soon, and I was wondering how the combo works.

Works great. I made a little funnel so I can grind straight into the basket - lovely, even, centered heap, then start the tamp through the funnel so no spilling. For espresso I do not use the Niche cup at all. Let me know if you want the 3d file to print the funnel via Shapeways or similar. I've moved my setting from ~19 when new to around 14-15 now for most coffee. (I use the 15 g basket, not the deeper one so far).

I thought I might use the cup to dump via the funnel - hence the 58mm ridge around the edge but I do not use that and have a file without it for next time I print, which might be never....

-PG

Laddu

#677: Post by Laddu »

This is not a bad idea. Does the funnel retain any fine grounds while grinding due to statics?

Yes, you can send me the file, with the ridge if you still have it.

Laddu

#678: Post by Laddu »

Anyone else received their CT2?

I got mine, and while measuring the water temp, I find that it does not go as high as it should be. With dome half full, and the thermostat set to max (96C on the markings) the water barely reaches 86-87, measured at the top of the piston, with the piston fully downward position. With the dome full, it hovers around 80. All measurements were done without the lid.

The thermostat in CT2 has been changed compared to CT1, and the adjustment mentioned at the beginning of this thread is no longer applicable.

I mailed Wouter for his advise, but I was wondering inf anyone else faced similar situation.

truemagellen

#679: Post by truemagellen replying to Laddu »

I thought you needed to run it with the lid on for higher temps.

Laddu

#680: Post by Laddu »

I don't think the lid can give +10C