Owner experience with the Strietman CT1 - Page 65

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pGolay

#641: Post by pGolay »

There's no way to retro-fit the new thermostat to CT-1... I asked, and the new one is too large for the CT-1 case.

-Pascal
-PG

TheGriz

#642: Post by TheGriz »

pGolay wrote:There's no way to retro-fit the new thermostat to CT-1... I asked, and the new one is too large for the CT-1 case.
Shoot, I was hoping an update would exist. The thermostat and cup height were my main wants. With that being said, the 5mm is next to nothing. I really want to pull into my not neutral demitasse glasses. I think the update would allow that, but still couldn't use a scale. Guess I need to think about it.

pGolay

#643: Post by pGolay »

The small Not-Neutral '3-sided' glass just fits on the CT-1. It's my current fav...

This one - https://www.notneutral.com/drink/vero-e ... clear.html
-PG

TheGriz

#644: Post by TheGriz replying to pGolay »

Yeah those are the ones. Are you using the 15g baskets?

Still wouldn't be able to use a scale though...

pGolay

#645: Post by pGolay »

Yes, 15 g basket. And, right, no scale is possible. I had the idea that it might be possible to rig a sensor under the drip tray, but at the same time it seems somewhat contrary to the Strietman vibe...
-PG

IMAWriter

#646: Post by IMAWriter »

Actually, I have a mini scale (.1g). Remove the drip tray, I believe my scale would fit in the hole, with your cup on top.
It's the Smart Weigh Digital Pocket mini-scale.
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-ZIP6 ... 145&sr=8-5

I don't have a CT1, as it was a loaner. 4 months of espresso bliss.

pGolay

#647: Post by pGolay »

Hi Rob - Thanks- I'll check it out - do you find it responds fast enough? Presumably you do... just checking 'cause the scale I have does not respond fast enough to check the pour with any confidence, even if it did fit. A 15 dollar special, among dozens of others....
-PG

IMAWriter

#648: Post by IMAWriter replying to pGolay »

A small lag, but if I want 34 grams I just stop the pull at 32 grams. Good little scale for $15.

ohofmann

#649: Post by ohofmann »

erik82 wrote: Most of the time I grind when the red light goes off and put the portafilter in at around 1/3 of the heating cycle as the temperature is the most stable at that point. Keep in mind that the heating element heats the group and not the water. When the red light turns on again the water temp is still declining and will incline a couple of seconds after that. About 1/3 of the cycle the temperature is very stable to within 0.5C for about 30-40s which is perfect for espresso timing.
Out of curiosity, I timed a few cycles. With the thermostat set to ~88-91C (open/closed lid) a heating cycle takes almost exactly 4 minutes, followed by 20 seconds with the lights off. I've only timed half a dozen cycles but this seems strangely imbalanced. Are those timings what one would expect with the current model?

djcuvcuv

#650: Post by djcuvcuv replying to ohofmann »

perhaps i missed something, but what is imbalanced about a 4min heat cycle with 20 seconds of downtime in between?
Best wishes,
Chris