Owner experience with the Strietman CT1 - Page 62

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
djcuvcuv

#611: Post by djcuvcuv »

Paolo wrote:Yeah...I know...OCD perhaps? :roll: I exclusively...
If I'm unable to resist purchase after the unveiling of the new CT1, perhaps I will have the opportunity to tempt you by offering my "old" (ca March 2018) CT1 at a compelling price point :mrgreen:

(I too have OCD tendencies though, so I feel you.)
Best wishes,
Chris

Paolo

#612: Post by Paolo replying to djcuvcuv »

:lol: :lol:

Catherwood

#613: Post by Catherwood »

Curious if anyone else considered this. Always thought the CT1 portafilter and lever handle would look better if it had the same shape/style as Slayer handles. Would mimic the cone/V shape on the Strietman.
Shortest espresso cups I have found are vintage Russell Wright espresso cups. Roughly 1 3/8" tall and 2.25" wide. Easy to find these online.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#614: Post by mivanitsky »

Things that would, in combination, drive me to unnecessarily "upgrade" my perfectly good CT1:

1. Increased space for use of a cup with a scale. I could care less about taller cups. Buy more cups, people!
2. Change of the handle to accommodate Gabor's pressure transducer.
3. PID temperature control.

Lacking all three of these, you will have to pry my CT1 from my cold, dead hands.

RyanP (original poster)

#615: Post by RyanP (original poster) replying to mivanitsky »

Yup. Those three, especially 2 and 3.

IMAWriter

#616: Post by IMAWriter »

Paolo wrote:Yeah...I know...OCD perhaps? :roll:

I exclusively drink long blacks which have something like a 160-170ml capacity.
Ah...as the CT1 can pull successive shots fairly quickly, maybe just pull 2 shots back to back...
I will say my guess is the majority of folks pulling shots that big wouldn't be doing so on a manual lever with a 49mm group..not speaking for ALL lever-heads. That said, even a 58mm group like a bezzera Strega is hard put to do more than 60 gram shots...that taste good.
Besides, I cannot imagine a long black more than maybe 80-90 grams. Why not do an AeroPress Americano? Best of both worlds. So you know, the CT1 shots are extremely satisfying. a 40 gram shot goes a long way. I liked 17 grams in, 34 out, using the double shot smaller basket. Wouter has a larger basket that holds around 20 grams, I believe.

Paolo

#617: Post by Paolo »

Hi Rob,

My mistake. :shock: I meant to say that the cups that I use have a capacity of 160-170 mls.

I only use a 20gm payload of grounds in a 58mm basket for each long black/Americano which I pull only until blonding.

haunce

#618: Post by haunce »

Can anyone recommend a pin/spring pin for the portafilter for locking the baskets in place? My streitman didn't include one, so the basket doesnt stay in the protafilter.

djcuvcuv

#619: Post by djcuvcuv replying to haunce »

perhaps im not privy to the spring pin, but i dont think the design of the strietman portafilter requires a spring pin. i dont see the use for one at least. what are you experiencing exactly?
Best wishes,
Chris

haunce

#620: Post by haunce »

Ah yeah, in the portafilter it has a cut out for what looks like where a pin/clip would be installed like a normal portafilter so the basket is held in place in the portafilter. Just wondering if anyone installed one/which to buy that would work!