Owner experience with the Strietman CT1 - Page 28

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mfortin

#271: Post by mfortin »

RyanP wrote:I'd have to search for it, but I seem to remember reading about that idea in an old thread and the conclusion more-or-less being that nobody who was trying it could taste a difference, and seems like it's not used much today? Am I wrong about that? I'm game to try it out for myself, though like i mentioned, getting very good results from the current method.
Have a look here
AndyS makes the hypothesis that filter basket does not get clogged and allows for better extraction yield. I find it more difficult to get a nice flow but I do find better tasting with the Strietman.

IUespresso

#272: Post by IUespresso »

Any CT1 owners have any negative feedback? :D I am trying to convince myself that I do not need one! Not working so far.

-Michael

RyanP (original poster)

#273: Post by RyanP (original poster) replying to IUespresso »

I think it really just depends on the experience you are looking for in making an espresso. What the CT1 does it does very well.

IUespresso

#274: Post by IUespresso replying to RyanP »

I think this fits the bill for what I would like...well built, easy to use, espresso only machine, that delivers high quality results (is that their mission statement?).

it is expensive though (like all nice things) so just making sure I get all angles on it.

-Michael

RyanP (original poster)

#275: Post by RyanP (original poster) »

RyanP wrote: I've pulled a few very good shots and think I have found a repeatable method on the CT1 for pulling the best out of this bean.

16.8g in the basket. I raise the lever at 201-202F (and turn the machine off). Instead of holding the lever up for 30 seconds like I usually do, after 15 secs of passive preinfusion, I gently lower the lever, probably in the 1-2 bar pressure range. I do this for about 10-15 seconds until I see full beading on the bottom of the basket and the beginning of dripping. I then ramp up to full pressure followed by a steady decline in pressure. The flow is moderate-slow, but not requiring excessive force on the lever. I pull the cup at around 35g. The result is sweet, very fruit forward, gentle integrated acidity, and a creamy mouthfeel.
Just returning to this after a couple of days without coffee. Pulled shots of Slate's Ethiopian Kilenso and Elm Roasters' Colombia Carlos Ramirez. The results are again very positive using a combination of passive and active preinfusion (am I using those terms correctly?). I've only been testing this on light roasts, but I'm finding the extractions to be consistently more visually even, and the resulting flavor in the cup to be sweeter and more integrated. Anybody else like to use this type of pressure profile when pulling shots?

erik82

#276: Post by erik82 »

I've done it a lot the last year but only with light roasted beans. Also did a test with some medium/dark roasts but that doesn't seem to do it good. Especially with some light Kenians and Ethiopians combining it with a slightly lower temperature of 89C gave me very good results. In some cases it gives better results but it really depends on the bean and roast level.

RyanP (original poster)

#277: Post by RyanP (original poster) replying to erik82 »

I forgot that you had mentioned that in the past and I had tried it with good results. I'll need to experiment more!

This morning I returned to the Ethiopian Kilenso. Same process. 15 seconds passive, about 10 seconds of very light active preinfusion until puck is fully saturated. But, I did experiment with a lighter temp, although not quite as low as what you suggested. I raised the lever at 197F/91C. Result was very positive. Intense strawberry notes and very sweet. I'm also noticing that I can pull the cup sooner without having to rely on the longer pull to mellow the acidity.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#278: Post by RockyIII »

I received an email today that my CT1 is shipping tomorrow, a week earlier than expected. Let the good times roll!

Rocky

IUespresso

#279: Post by IUespresso »

Order has been placed!

Quick question for those who have used a clip on thermometer...have you noticed any scratches on the copper finish?

-Michael

erik82

#280: Post by erik82 »

Haven't noticed any scratches after one full year of using a clip on thermometer.