Original ABC Inc Brochure circa June 1975

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman
Team HB

#1: Post by IamOiman »

I got an interesting little envelope today in the mail, a circa 1975 brochure for American Best Coffee (ABC) Inc espresso machines, with a list of prices for their customized machines! It's a really cool little nugget of history, and man were these machines expensive new.

I did not know this but ABC also sold Victoria Arduino machines as well. You could buy either the original spec machines or the pimped out Deluxe versions for extra, with the grinder. A 1 group Gaggia with the fancy Deluxe panelling cost $2600, or over $14000 if purchased today.

As far as I know ABC still exists under the name Orozco Espresso in LA. I bet the few people around here with the Victoria LL 1 group had their machine originaly imported through ABC.

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612
★ Helpful

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#2: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Forgot to include a third page showing physical and electrical specs along with shipping prices
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

stangman

#3: Post by stangman »

That machine is a stunning work of art!

dykaar

#4: Post by dykaar »

I guess I have a 2-group LL-2/1 Standard model, "pimped out" with a Thermo-reserve group, circa 1972.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

dykaar wrote:I guess I have a 2-group LL-2/1 Standard model, "pimped out" with a Thermo-reserve group, circa 1972.
Nice! Do you ever use the Thermal Reserve group?

FYI, if your machine came direct from Italy to Canada, then it was probably imported by Zuccarini's in Toronto - they're still in business and still selling Victora Arduino at zuccarini.ca
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

That outboard rotary pump and motor don't look a whole lot different than the current outboard KvdW Speedster pump & motor assembly!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

dykaar

#7: Post by dykaar »

The machine is from Rochester NY, and I have no idea how to operate the thermoreserve-group. Until now I didn't even know is was "used for producing espresso coffee in volume" and "Several gallons of CAPPUCCINO COFFEE BASE can be prepared in a short time, to serve hundreds of your customers ordering liqueur-laced "CAPPUCCINO L'AMOUR"" Whatever that is. I was hoping to get some adult supervision here.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

Here's a video demonstration of a similar group:

dykaar

#9: Post by dykaar »

YES! Thank you!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing replying to dykaar »

You're welcome - and welcome to Home-Barista!

Also, the Thermal reserve groups are sometimes called "Hotel groups."

Here's another video: