Open Source Lever Project - Page 55

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
EspressoForge (original poster)
Sponsor

#541: Post by EspressoForge (original poster) »

zix wrote:I just had a very simple idea. Maybe it is already discussed, can't see it but maybe it is already in here somewhere: if a boiler with pressure stat for steam is the better solution, then it would also be quite possible to have it on separate electric and water circuit, with it's own circuit breaker for the electrical, and a separate water feed pipe, or even a tank + small pump refill if that's more practical. Sounds like, for someone in the know, it would be possible to find an adequately sized boiler + pressure stat package.

I know for me that would be by far the best solution: I almost exclusively make cappuccinos or lattes when we have guests, but in those situations it would also be fantastic if I had a fast and powerful steamer. And in everyday use, I could save a lot of energy by only activating the espresso unit (thermoblock + group).
Yes certainly is the ideal way IMO, keeping the steam side totally separated. The main reason I've been hoping a thermoblock would work is just because it's a lot more hardware than just the boiler for steam. Assuming plumbed you would need: boiler, element, fill sensor, fill solenoid, vac breaker, pressurestat or thermostat (or thermocouple maybe could be added instead, but I think pressure is more reliable, unfortunately a pressure transducer to get a signal to the Arduino I believe would be expensive). Of course, if you can salvage parts, these should mostly be there, and if you wouldn't want extremely accurate pressure control digitally, could just set a manual pressurestat.

For me, this project has been on hold lately, I'm in the process of a cross-country move, so I'll need to pick it up later. On the brew side, temp control has been very accurate and repeatable, though it hasn't always translated into results. Still most of the time I'm finding that a large temp swing during the shot seems more desirable taste-wise than a smaller differential curve for the type of coffees I like (light to medium roasted dry-processed). Maybe contrary to the popular notion that temperature is everything, but my goal with this project was to build a machine capable of all kinds of temp profiles so I could experiment and really find out what I like and why.

bicit

#542: Post by bicit »

Hmm, I'm really interested in this project. Still reading my way through the thread, but I have two questions.

1: Has anyone considered using a gaggia aluminum boiler? IE from a classic or baby. Seems about the perfect size for a quick warmup and pulling a nice single. Almost like using a thermoblock.

2: What's the best resource to use for locating used commercial lever groups? I've been trying to keep an eye out for used machines but it seems to be like trying to find hens teeth.

3: Has anyone completed their wall mounted lever machine yet? :mrgreen:

Thanks, now I'll get back to muddling my way through the thread.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#543: Post by pizzaman383 »

Funny you should mention a Gaggia aluminum boiler. I am remaking my DIY dipper lever into a double boiler. I have a big steam boiler and will feed the group from a Gaggia aluminum boiler from a KA. I am still waiting on the fitting for the group inlet.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”