Open boiler lever espresso machines... How popular are they? How many units are sold?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Deval

Postby Deval » Apr 13, 2019, 12:18 am

Hi,

I was just contemplating buying an open boiler lever espresso machine... Just wanted to understand how popular they are...

I keep on reading many posts on strietman, Newton, Aaram..but still not clear on how they fare...

Can any one please tell me how many units these companies sells per year... Product sales is very important benchmark of its quality...

Thanks

yakster

Postby yakster » Apr 13, 2019, 12:25 am

Buying or selling?

Deval wrote:Hi I wanted to know which quality and safety certifications have to be taken before I can sell a manual spring lever espresso machine to European and American markets....?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272
★ Helpful

Balthazar_B

Postby Balthazar_B » Apr 13, 2019, 12:35 am

Just a couple of notes:

• The Aram and Newton, like the Robot, can't really be called open boiler machines, since they don't boil water, but use water poured from a kettle. The Streitman -- like the Caravel and a few others -- is a true open boiler machine, since it, well, has a boiler.
  • As all of these machines are truly labor-of-love niche products, and manufactured mostly by single craftspersons, it's doubtful sales numbers are published anywhere, except perhaps for orders placed through crowdsourcing sites like Kickstarter. We do know that several hundred Robots were sold through Kickstarter and subsequent online sales.
  • The correspondence between sales and quality is tenuous at best (q.v. Starbucks, MacDonalds, etc.). Best thing would be to examine them yourself, if you know any owners nearby. Next best would be to solicit thoughtful assessments of the machines from those owners, ask questions, etc.
Hope this helps!
- John

LMWDP # 577

Deval

Postby Deval » Apr 14, 2019, 8:12 am

Thanks for your reply John..

Deval

Postby Deval » Apr 14, 2019, 8:14 am

yakster wrote:Buying or selling?

Actually both.... I would prefer buying products that are duly certified... And whether the seller is taking all required certifications on not...